Laptop Overheating and making wierd sounds/vibrations

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Hello, my name is Bret. I have the Lenovo y510p. I've had it for a few years and I've never experienced these problems before. I have only used it in North America in till about a week ago I brought it to Europe(Germany). We bought a different charging cable/adapter so it could connect to the outlets in Germany, (different than in North America). Ever since I have been trying to use my computer for anything, (games, web browsing, etc) by the fan and charging area of the laptop would get super hot and eventually at the point I could barely touch it. It would smell like burning plastic by that area and when I would play almost any game (stressful application) the laptop (by the fan area) would make a constant buzzing sound coming from that same area. Also, anything I went on would run a lot slower and everything would lag including games and websites. Could all this be because of the higher voltage output in Europe compared to North America? Very uncomfortable to use my laptop and everything is a lot slower and has more a lot more lag making it not fun to play games. Also the faans seems not be working at all. No air is being blown out of where it should be and I think this is the main/ maybe only cause.This started in Europe. Thanks, Bret (Please Reply)

Lutfij

Splendid
Since you've been in ownership of the laptop for a few years, I'm assuming that it's beyond it's warranty period? If so you can try and disassemble the underside of the laptop and see if the cooling fan needs servicing/cleanup from dust or debris. The bulk of your post indicates that the cooling fan's ventilation slots might have clogged up.

While you're there it'd be a good idea to inspect the PCB of your laptop to see if there are any bulging and inflamed capacitors and any burn marks. Often times use of a charger that is bought from an e-tailer can result in haphazard results. On that note, can you please pass on a link to the aftermarket charger you purchased?

Gryski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Link: https://www.amazon.de/Garantie-Delippo%C2%AE-Netzteile-...

FYI: I don´t feel any air even coming out of the computer where it should be and I don't even think the fans working. This is probably the reason for the overheating?