Laptop Power Issues (And No Standard Solutions Work)

Henners101

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hi everyone,

Laptop won't power on properly. It seems it's failing the POST. When the power button is pressed, the "on" light changes from orange (charging)/off to green (on), but after about half a second reverts. During this time frame, a plugged-in phone starts charging, i.e. there is definitely power going to the laptop, but this stops after the reversion.

The issue occurred after leaving it in "sleep" mode for a couple of days in order to charge my phone off of it while visiting family. It was working just fine up to last night and possibly even this morning; after travelling back home the issue cropped up.

I've already tried the "standard" fixes (removing battery and discharging by holding power button, trying to run it off of AC only with battery removed, and reseating the RAM.) Next on my list is replacing the CMOS battery and checking the RAM and RAM slots by having only one stick in at a time and testing if it will boot with any combination of sticks/slots.

If these don't work, does anybody have any bright ideas for something more obscure it could be (and that I can test myself)?

If it's highly likely that the motherboard that's busted I'm just calling it a day and getting a new mini-desktop or something, rather than spending a fortune at a repair shop, as this isn't the first issue the laptop has had... but I'm hoping it's something simple.

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

TRENDING THREADS