Laptop Power Problem

roberto69

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015
The power keeps cutting out suddenly on my Acer Aspire laptop. I tried taking the battery out and running it on the power lead, but it still does the same thing. Any ideas why?

The laptop just turns off without warning and then when I re-start it, I get the message that 'windows didn't shut down properly'.

Also, when I shut the lid, press 'hibernate' or press 'sleep', when I turn the laptop back on, I get the 'windows didn't shut down properly' again.

I have the power lead plugged in and the battery icon is saying 'plugged in, not charging'. Don't know if this has any relevance.

I read somewhere that it could be the fan being clogged with dirt/dust and so causing it to overheat. I tried cleaning the fan, but still the problem continues

Solution
Hi,

When you cleaned out the fans did you also apply a new thermal paste onto the GPU and CPU? That would actually help a lot in cooling your laptop if it's really overheating. Here are some more troubleshooting steps you can try.
- First is to make sure that your AC adapter is in tip top shape. Test it using a multi tester see if it's supplying enough voltage to power the laptop or another test is to use another AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if the same problem will happen.
- Next test is to boot the PC into BIOS and observe if it will still shut down on it's own. It can be considered as a motherboard problem if it does shut down while in BIOS since it's overheating too much.
- Also load into Safe Mode and do the same...
Hi,

When you cleaned out the fans did you also apply a new thermal paste onto the GPU and CPU? That would actually help a lot in cooling your laptop if it's really overheating. Here are some more troubleshooting steps you can try.
- First is to make sure that your AC adapter is in tip top shape. Test it using a multi tester see if it's supplying enough voltage to power the laptop or another test is to use another AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if the same problem will happen.
- Next test is to boot the PC into BIOS and observe if it will still shut down on it's own. It can be considered as a motherboard problem if it does shut down while in BIOS since it's overheating too much.
- Also load into Safe Mode and do the same test observe if it will or will not shut down. If it doesn't shut down that means it could just be a software problem that you've installed or the actual operating system is damaged and need resetting.

Solution

roberto69

Estimable
Dec 7, 2015

Thanks for your answer.

I'm a complete computer novice, so I will try each step tentatively. May need a bit of help along the way!!

Thanks again