Laptop powers to Black Screen, no boot

OctraveRed

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014
My computer has been working fine until today when I went to switch it on and it just goes to a black screen. I have tried taking the battery out, holding down the power button etc but to no avail, i have also tried attaching an external monitor to it but nothing loaded on that either. I removed the RAM and inserted each by themselves which again did nothing.

When I press the power button it goes to turn on but doesn't kick in, the fans spin and the lights come on, also if I pop out the CD tray it will make an attempt to load a disc but ultimately doesn't.

Does any body have any ideas? My thinking from everything else I have read it is to do with the motherboard or graphics card, could it be anything else?

Solution

ok well a simple way to eliminate power is to plug in the charger and take out the battery and turn it on... you'll discover all the lights will turn on (as you said) and obviously the screen still won't work... a laptop is capable of running just from the charger.
as for the black screen issue i would most likely say its a graphics card problem which if your laptop uses integrated graphics then its cpu or on board graphics is mobo. either way it would most likely be cheaper to just buy a whole new laptop. (labour on laptops...

OctraveRed

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014

Its just totally black, I have the blue lights on the front working (battery and power) but nothing actually on the screen.

Jacob Bowerman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

ok well a simple way to eliminate power is to plug in the charger and take out the battery and turn it on... you'll discover all the lights will turn on (as you said) and obviously the screen still won't work... a laptop is capable of running just from the charger.
as for the black screen issue i would most likely say its a graphics card problem which if your laptop uses integrated graphics then its cpu or on board graphics is mobo. either way it would most likely be cheaper to just buy a whole new laptop. (labour on laptops is quite expensive)

Solution

OctraveRed

Estimable
Jul 5, 2014

Thanks for the quick response, this is what I suspected, I think it likely I will have to look at purchasing a new laptop, since I have no experience with taking them apart.

Jacob Bowerman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

2 quick things before you buy the new one:
1: i just thought it could possible be a ram problem. take out the ram and try to turn the computer it. it should scream beaps at you and just go crazy, if ANYTHING at all comes up on the screen then you got a ram problem.

2: well then theres a first time for everything. before you through it out then make you sure you take out the hard rive and the ram, maybe even the cd drive (optical drive). just because your computer doesnt work it doesn't mean you have to lose all your stuff. you most likely won't be able to just plug and play in another laptop but you can always plug it into an external casing and copy all your stuff of. keep the ram for future troubleshooting. if something goes wrong in your computer then you can test the ram.

gcta333

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

I had this same issue and fixed it by dismantling the entire laptop and checking the connections to the motherboard. I had just gotten my laptop back from the shop for a DC jack repair and when I got it back it did the same thing that you are describing. After unplugging and replugging everything and putting it all back together it works like a charm.

chimbroma

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
I have the same issue..but the down side to mine is that everything on the laptop is on-board an in-built.(even the battery). its an asusx502ca ...pls if anyone has a solution i will be most grateful