Solved! Laptop problem (Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5212)

Jun 8, 2019
Hello. So today a friend of mine gifted to me this laptop (Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5212) and he told to me that he doesn't need anymore because it won't start. He told to me that he acidentally poured some liquid and then let it dry. Then he switched the ram on another slot. So now I tried to start the laptop but the screen doesn't work(the fans, the hdd , and the LEDs are fine). I tried to connect it to an external monitor but it doesn't work. Power discharging doesn't work either, I even switched the ram slots, just nope. What guys did you think what causes the issue?
PS: I found on the back motherboard a (melted?) chip.

Solution
Sounds like you need to replace that motherboard.

You also need to check for any residue from whatever they spilled on it. If it was anything other than clear water, even though it would dry, it would not leave the device OK to use. Any residue would need to be carefully cleaned out and then left to dry again for days.

Personally, if you want to fix it, you may want to take it to a tech and see what the total cost would be to do both the cleaning and the motherboard, plus they can tell you if anything else is wrong as well. This way you can get an idea of cost, and then you will know if it is worth having the work done or not.
Sounds like you need to replace that motherboard.

You also need to check for any residue from whatever they spilled on it. If it was anything other than clear water, even though it would dry, it would not leave the device OK to use. Any residue would need to be carefully cleaned out and then left to dry again for days.

Personally, if you want to fix it, you may want to take it to a tech and see what the total cost would be to do both the cleaning and the motherboard, plus they can tell you if anything else is wrong as well. This way you can get an idea of cost, and then you will know if it is worth having the work done or not.

Reactions: Grendar
Solution