Laptop recommendation for an everyday laptop and another for gaming

Cinnabon

Estimable
May 15, 2014
So I need two laptop recommendations, one for me and one for my sister.

I'm looking for a gaming laptop (don't have to run games at highest quality, medium is fine as well) as well as for uni work since I'm going to major in computer science I'll be having special programs. The laptop can't be too heavy and not a 17" either. I play games such as LoL, Final fantasy XIV, Tera and some others. 800MB-1TB storage. Shouldn't be more than $1300-1400.

As for my sister,
She needs a normal everyday laptop, she would rather have it be large with the number pad on the right(15"-17"), 800MB-1TB storage, long lasting as well, her budget is around the same as mine, $1400. She doesn't play any games, just watches series and movies, she'll need it for uni as well.

Thank you :)

Solution
If your sister does not play games then she does not really need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. If she is using it for school, then I suppose it should be 15.6" laptop since they are generally 5.5lbs or less and most comes with a number pad. I do recommend a 1920x1080 resolution screen though so she can see more things on the desktop at once. Makes cross referencing info in two different windows much easy compared to a lower resolution screen.

I would recommend the 15.6" Lenovo U530 with the 1920x1080 resolution screen that is currently selling for $849 on Lenovo's website. It weighs in at 5.07lbs, but like the Y50 it lacks a DVD drive so that is something to take into consideration. The Y50 starts at about 5.3lbs.; not a...

KyleADunn

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

Ali Shayyan

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
I will recommend you to go with alienware 13 or 14 and you can customize specs as you want and MSI Gs60 is also good (heats up a bit), and your sister can get a macbook pro retina or Asus N550 J , I personally like Asus here. If she goes for an ultrabook it's gonna have fast ssd but limited (128gb) storages . you guys can try hybrid laptop / tablet too but as you didn't mentioned , I'm not going into it .

Cinnabon

Estimable
May 15, 2014

So I checked out the lenovo y510p and it seems like a new lenovo y50 came out, is the y510 better than the y50? I like the screen size, 15'6" is quite ideal.

The lenovo for my sister seems really good, might pick this one up

KyleADunn

Estimable
Jul 8, 2014

The Lenovo y50 is newer, but has very similar specs for a more premium price. The major difference is the GPU. y50 has a GTX 860, vs. the y510's GTX 755. Also depends on the sub-model. If you're okay with the expenditure, go for the y50!

If your sister does not play games then she does not really need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. If she is using it for school, then I suppose it should be 15.6" laptop since they are generally 5.5lbs or less and most comes with a number pad. I do recommend a 1920x1080 resolution screen though so she can see more things on the desktop at once. Makes cross referencing info in two different windows much easy compared to a lower resolution screen.

I would recommend the 15.6" Lenovo U530 with the 1920x1080 resolution screen that is currently selling for $849 on Lenovo's website. It weighs in at 5.07lbs, but like the Y50 it lacks a DVD drive so that is something to take into consideration. The Y50 starts at about 5.3lbs.; not a huge difference. The U530 costs $200 less than the Y50, but the U530 lacks a dedicated graphics chip (not a big deal if not playing any games). The U530 only has a low power consumption dual core CPU rather than a quad core CPU; however, this also means longer battery life.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/u-series/u530-touch/

Some user reviews / opinions can be read over at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Ultrabook-Touch-Screen-Laptop/dp/B00G8FFETS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Solution