Laptop Recommendations/Buying Help

ZMdHtr606

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I'm looking to pick up a laptop in the next few days. School started today and don't want to go through another semester without one. Any help, recommendations, etc. are much appreciated! The point in the laptop is for my school work. I'll have at the very least: a word processing program, pro tools (i'm a music major), finale, and reason 5.0.

1. What is your budget? I'm poor as of right now, so what I'll be doing is finding something that has a monthly payment option. I know dell has a deal through their website that can have monthly payments as low as $##/month. Hoping to keep it under $70/month. I've seen best buy has a no interest over 18 months deal as well.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Bigger the better, but not a huge deal. I'll play a game or two on it, but that's not the point in the machine.

3. What screen resolution do you want? again, best possible but not the focal point for me.... (well, i guess it IS the focal point... considering its the screen....)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable. will be in my school-bag and with me all day.

5. How much battery life do you need? as much as possible would be nice, but there are plugs everywhere on campus, so its not a make-or-break issue. I mean, I'd like it to last through my 3.5 hour lecture at least.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? As mentioned above, I'd play a game or two... mostly dod or sc2. low settings. simple games to pass the time when my homework is either done or my brain is too fried to continue.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Sound recording/listening/editing is paramount. I'll have pro tools and reason 5.0 on it. If the ability to photoshop is there, bonus points.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? a lot. I'll have my external hard-drive at my disposal, but if i don't need to carry it with me, i would rather not. I'm not going to have endless sound files laying around on it. One or two pro-tools/reason projects at a time, then i'd store it at home on the external or desktop.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Nothing specific. Like I said, the major chains and brands can provide a payment plan and that's what I need.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Multiple years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I'll need to be able to burn cds. I'm not too familiar with laptop optical drives, specifically whether or not I can use regular cd-r in a bluray drive? if not, then i can't go that direction.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference. Customer service is nice. Reliability of product is nice. I've never bought a laptop before so I don't know any reputations.

13. What country do you live in? USA

Thanks, if i missed an important detail, let me know and i will do my best to answer it. I look forward to reading your replies and thanks in advance for the help!

~jd.

ZMdHtr606

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I forgot to mention that I'm also not adverse to one that the screen can turn around and lie flat on.... i believe it's considered a tablet laptop?? Trying not to sound too clueless, but sometimes that can't be helped!