Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Can anybody recommend a good laptop for this usage:
- streaming online video (low res)
- MS word
- MS powerpoint with embedded videos that need to play without lag
- GIMP (like photoshop)
- Battery life doesn't need to be more than 2 hours
- Don't often carry it with me, but do need to move with it when it is on and lid closed.
- reliability is essential (can't afford a problem during a presentation to a large audience)
- need 2+ usb slots and a full-size HDMI
- don't care about very high resolution
- no gaming
- don't need fast startup offered by SSD
- ideally 500 GB at least, but that is flexible as most of my storage is actually family pictures and video
- budget: cheapest possible. Obviously I can get everything that I need for $1000, but I'd really like to keep it to $500.
- I currently have an HP G62 with a first generation i3 and it is just fine for my needs. Had to replace the wire to the monitor a few months ago and recently the battery drains in 20 minutes. I need a new one because this one may have become unreliable.

Thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate it. This used to be a lot easier.

If you can live with a 320GB hard drive, then I would considered the following ThinkPad L430 for $495 from a reseller at Amazon. That is a pretty low price. Base model ordered directly from Lenovo is around $585. The shipper only has a lifetime 83% feedback rating from 12 reviews. However, a 2 star review was regarding a complaint about the DVD writer not working properly. The vendor responded that he should send it back for a refund. A 3 star rating more or less stated that while his/her laptop did arrive on time, it was not shipped on time. Lastly, since you are ordering through Amazon, your purchases are ultimately protected by Amazon's refund policy.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Notebook-DVD-Writer-Professional/dp/B00B0ROMW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381168234&sr=1-1&keywords=thinkpad+l430

Alternatively, there is the Dell Inspiron 14R. You may find the glossy screen annoying though. The ThinkPad L430 has a matte black screen which avoids mirror-like reflections making very usable outdoors on a sunny day.

Office Depot

It has a 750GB hard drive.

chris3

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
The ThinkPad L430 looks perfect. Thanks a lot jaguarskx, I really appreciate your time and assistance.

Note...

I sent you a PM (private message) stating that the L430 does not have HDMI. Instead it has a mini-DisplayPort. I sent you two examples of adapters you can use which will allow for audio transmission.