Laptop sale ends in 2 days - Is this a good deal?!

Is this a good deal?

• A must buy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very good

• It's alright

• Fair/Poor

• Other

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Cost: $800

15.6" IdeaPad Y500:

Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

Operating System: Windows 8 64

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB

Memory:8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

Display:15.6" HD LED Glossy
Wedge 1366x768

Hard Drive:1TB 5400 RPM

Optical Drive:DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

Battery:6 Cell Lithium-Ion

Network Card:Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230

Bluetooth:Bluetooth Version 4.0

Warranty:One year

Form Factor:Notebook

Camera:Integrated HD Camera

HDMI:HDMI (Out)

Link: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y500/?sb=:000001C9:0000C506:#customize

g-unit1111

Distinguished
The Y500 is an excellent machine. I have owned one about two months now and it's easily the best laptop I've ever owned. And I've owned Dell, Gateway, HP, Apple, and a couple others. Mine is a similar configuration with an optical drive and an SSD cache.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Awesome! I have a dv6t pavilion (old one) right now. I am worried about the screen on the ideapad, it says 15.6, but it honestly looks a lot smaller due to the "trimmings" on the side. Also, is this a good deal? I know it's a good machine, but is it honestly a good bang for its buck?

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
The screen resolution is pretty low (1366x768 is sadly standard), if that's something you can live with, it looks like a nice machine to me. I bought a Y580 last year, which i assume is similar, and it's very good. My only complaint is the trackpad doesn't always register my presses, but that might not be the same with the Y500.

Also, be prepared to wait about a month (or more) when ordering from Lenovo.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Seems like laptops with better resolution and similar specs are all well over $1000

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Go to Lenovo's website and order there. You can get a much better machine for the same money with 1080P resolution. Mine was $970 with one year of accidental damage protection.

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

Mm. I figured as much. It's up to you if it's worth paying more or waiting for another sale. Lenovo has sales pretty often.

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
At this point it's really your decision. We don't know your financial situation or anything like that. In fact, you haven't said what you'll be using it for.
If you're still in doubt that this is the computer for you (i.e. you're not in love with it), i think you should wait for another sale. Or maybe even wait for a Haswell CPU.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Haswell is out and pretty damn expensive too! Anyhoo, I'm looking for a gaming laptop, and this looks pretty damn solid! I don't plan on spending much more.

I'm also worried about the 1920x1080, which I can upgrade to for an extra $30. I heard it's bad on 15'6 laptops.

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Bad how? I have that resolution and i don't have any problems.
Things are smaller on the screen of course, but you can change the DPI in Windows' settings and it makes text and buttons larger without any problems. Other than that i don't see what downsides there could be.
Full HD for $30? I would grab that upgrade in a heartbeat.

Sager is a relatively small brand, they are pretty good and the reason why many seem to like them is the fact that they use laptop chassis built by Clevo. Clevo chassis are overall pretty well designed the main gripes about their chassis is that they look bland and they feel like plastic which should be no surprise since their chassis is generally made from plastic.

I would go for the $25 option for IC Diamond thermal paste. Very good thermal paste so spending $25 for a potential 3C - 5C drop in temps is pretty good.

There's also a $79 option to install little copper heatsinks to the laptop to potentially reduce temps by another 3C - 5C. Should you pay for that option? Do you even want to bother with additional cooling? That is a choice you must make for yourself. Amazon sells the copper sinks they use for $10. Why the $69 price difference? The laptop must be shipped to XoticPC's maintenance depot so that the laptop can be taken apart to install the heatsinks; that means back & forth shipping charges, paying a technician to do the work, and a little profit margin for the company itself.

Installing the heatsinks is definitely cheaper, but you need to do the work yourself. If you are afraid of ending up with a non-functioning after installing the heatsinks and putting everything back together, then perhaps paying $79 is not a bad idea. Also you need to wait until the warranty expires, because doing this procedure will automatically void your warranty.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
You can get a sager off xoticPC with a Haswell i7, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM Hard Drive, 1080P Matte Screen(not that glossy crap), and a GTX 770M for like $1163. No tax(I believe there is on Lenovo website) and free shipping.

Doesn't come with an Operating System but you can get that for free if you are a student maybe?

Anyways worth it to spend the extra IMO, seeing as you are stuck with what you get on a laptop, you want to get the best you can so it lasts you a while. No upgrading later unfortunately.

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Meh, a bit too much for me really.

Momo Iko

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
You should get it. its a worth buying, the deal is pretty good. lenovo has a great performance for gaming. and dont let me start about the price!

vmartelle

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.