Solved! Laptop screen flickered then went black and never came back on

Sep 14, 2020
I have an asus vivobook f510u laptop (maybe 2 years old) last week I was using it as usual when the screen started flickering very fast. I immediately restarted it and as it was starting up again it was fine, but when the login screen came on it started flickering again. Not as fast but occasionally. At that point I went to google and tried the test to see if it is movement (slowly opening and closing the laptop) during that test the screen went out completely (laptop was plugged in and charging so it wasnt the battery). After the screen went black it never came back on. The computer turns on (power light comes on and fan starts up) but the screen never comes on. I took it to a repair shop and they said I need a new motherboard because its the video chipset. Does this sound like a legit way to fix? They said they did all the tests and everything came back fine and the flex of the screen is good.

Solution
plug in the laptop to a monitor or TV
after the laptop is powered on, press and hold the windows key, then press "p" twice (not fast), release the windows button after that

if this doesn´t work, then it might be the motherboard. The graphics chip is soldered to it, replacing only the chip would be much more expensive than replacing the whole motherboard.

This ASUS laptop might be still under warranty (2 years)
plug in the laptop to a monitor or TV
after the laptop is powered on, press and hold the windows key, then press "p" twice (not fast), release the windows button after that

if this doesn´t work, then it might be the motherboard. The graphics chip is soldered to it, replacing only the chip would be much more expensive than replacing the whole motherboard.

This ASUS laptop might be still under warranty (2 years)

Solution