Question Laptop screen flickering but fixes itself with a restart

Feb 10, 2022
Laptop: Yoga C940
Graphics: Intel INtegrated

My laptop has a peculiar issue. After it is disconnected from an external monitor, the screen starts flickering rapidly.

Then, when I restart the laptop, the issue goes away! Until the next time I take it away from an external monitor

Windows 10 is up to date and the restart fix seems to suggest it's not a hardware issue. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Feb 10, 2022
Is the external screen running the same refresh rate as the laptop screen? If not, make them the same and see if that changes anything.

Has it always done this? Did you contact Lenovo support?
It is: both are at 60HZ. The only discrepancy I can think of is that my laptop runs 4K resolution while the monitors are 1080p only.

It hasn't done this before: this problem only started about 1-2 weeks ago. Lenovo Support thought it was hardware for a long time, tried to convince me to buy an extended warranty, then when they realized it was a software issue tried to get me to buy a software support warranty as well, so no luck from them really; my laptop has been out of warranty for over a year anyway

It is: both are at 60HZ. The only discrepancy I can think of is that my laptop runs 4K resolution while the monitors are 1080p only.

It hasn't done this before: this problem only started about 1-2 weeks ago. Lenovo Support thought it was hardware for a long time, tried to convince me to buy an extended warranty, then when they realized it was a software issue tried to get me to buy a software support warranty as well, so no luck from them really; my laptop has been out of warranty for over a year anyway

Did you check for any driver updates? Through Lenovo directly. They have a good application called System Update that scans and installs any newer drivers they have.

Feb 10, 2022
Did you check for any driver updates? Through Lenovo directly. They have a good application called System Update that scans and installs any newer drivers they have.
I checked that but had no updates available. Eventually I read some old thread and someone suggested turning off fast startup, which worked - I haven't had the flashing issue since.

Jun 21, 2023
Thannkyou so much I didnt have an additional monitor hooked up, but everytime on start up my screen flickered but the was fine if i could manage to get on the restart button quick enough, after the resart it was fine, its almost a year I have been having this problem and i put it down to a Windows 11 forced update upon me and i was seeing if it got ironed out. It never did unistalled drivers disabled them, went on HP website for support, Nothing just sprung acrros this disable fast startup and running like normal. Mines a HP
Thanks

edit; It is definately the problem because i toggled it back on and the flicker was back after a shut down(y)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS