Laptop Screen flickers, mostly when unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathakwaled

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Hello all,
I ordered this Lenovo y70-70 from Ebay and I've had it for a couple months already and it's had this problem for as long as I could remember.

Basically the problem is that my screen literally flickers like crazy sometimes, usually when I switch to another page or something along the line of that. Again this usually only happens when my laptop is unplugged from the charger, when charging I RARELY have this problem (I still have a flicker but very rarely). The flicker changes in color sometimes, usually it's black but sometimes I see hints of pink and green.

Another thing to note that when my laptop is unplugged, my FPS also drops by a good amount.
I have a feeling this is either a power option issue or a video cable issue. It still has a warranty, if that means anything.

Any help would be totally appreciated! I'm new to tomsguide and just had to make an account because this problem is sooooo annoying.

The Corrector

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
Diagnosis

The video "refresh rate" is switching between 60Hz (on AC power) and 50Hz (on battery power), and the screen momentarily goes blank.

Solution

While on AC power, Desktop>Right Click>Properties>Settings>Advanced>Monitor. Here, under Monitor settings, set the Screen Refresh Rate to 50 Hertz. After applying these settings, the blinking problem gets fixed.

Black_Plague

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
The fps drop happens with almost any laptop these days. It's because laptops try to save battery time by stopping turbo function. Since your laptop is a new model(kind of). It must use turbo while charging and stop using turbe while running on batteries. Flickering isn't normal though. Battery pins may be dirty. You can try cleaning it with (tooth)brush/alcohol. If it doesn't look dirty then look for bent pins... There is a chance they got bent while plugging. A dead li-on cell can cause this the only way to fix would be changing the battery then. However turbo function I mentioned earlier could cause this problem too... Try lowering your screen brightness, resolution and refresh rate. See if it keeps flickering.

Hathakwaled

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
I accessed the properties through the control panel and under "Screen refresh rate" it says 60p Hz but there is not option for 50p Hz. 60 is the only one. Am I screwed?

Hathakwaled

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

I accessed the properties through the control panel and under "Screen refresh rate" it says 60p Hz but there is not option for 50p Hz. 60 is the only one. Am I screwed?

Hathakwaled

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

But why does rarely ever flicker when it's charging?

Hathakwaled

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

It was owned by a previous owner and factory resetted. I honestly do think it's a refresh rate problem since it flickers whenever I enter a new page (Ex: scrolling down facebook or youtube, etc)

Hathakwaled

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Debora_2

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
I'm having the same problem with my Lenovo Yoga. I clicked on control panel>display>use these display settings>advanced display settings> display adapter properties.
Under Monitor it says the screen refresh rate is 60Hz now and the other available option is 48. There is also an option to change the screen refresh rate under Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. What should I do?

Apr 7, 2018

This did it for me. Thank you!

Apr 25, 2018
The issue is due to Intel DISPLAY POWER SAVING TECHNOLOGY we need to uncheck that option under graphic properties. This resolves the issue.
Below is the path to disable this option.
Graphics Properties > Advanced Mode >Power > Change the pull down menu on power source from 'Plugged in' to 'On Battery' and uncheck "Display power saving technology". Click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.