Question Laptop screen isn't active. External screen works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2021
The internal screen died suddenly, but the external screen (connect via HDMI) is working fine. Here is what I have tried:
  1. Windows + P or functional key to project or extend display is not working.
  2. Restart the laptop. Restart without connected to the external screen. Not working.
  3. Check system update. Update to windows 10 21H1. I also uninstall the update later. Not working in either way.
  4. Display setting: I can see two screen (1 and 2). I click "1" and the "detect" bottom and it shows that "didn't detect another display."
  5. Advanced display setting: Display 1 is the internal display, connected to Intel Iris Xe Graphics, but it is not active. "Display 1 isn't active"." Display 2 is also connected to the same graphics but is work good (that is how I write this post.... ).
  6. Properties of Intel Iris Xe Graphics: (1) General "This device is working properly." (2) Driver the driver is updated (Date 6/1/2021, Version 27.20.100.9664). Not working.
  7. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant: Update Intel® Graphics - Windows® DCH Drivers (Date 7/14/2021, Version 30.0.100.9684). Reboot is required after update. Not working.
  8. Safe mode: internal screen is working! It is connected to some basic graphics. I tried update Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver to both versions (Date 6/1 and 7/14). Restart in normal mode, not working again.

I just bought it half a year. It worked fine until yesterday. I doubt it's related to physical problem. Does anyone have any idea to try to identify the problem with internal display?

Reactions: JamHeadArt
Jul 25, 2021
I have the same issue - this just started in the last week or so.

If I unplug the 2nd screen and reboot the computer, the internal display works.
As soon as I plug 2nd screen in, the internal display becomes "inactive" and I can't get it back on, even after unplugging the 2nd, unless I reboot.

I've tried uninstalling some recent windows updates and tried installing another driver for the "Intel Iris Xe Graphics" display, nothing works.

Very frustrating, I can't unplug by laptop to take it elsewhere and don't have a 2nd screen!!

Jul 22, 2021
I solved my problem by installing the driver from the laptop manufacturer. For Acer A515-56g, the suggestion is Intel VGA Driver 27.20.100.8439, which can be download from Acer website.

@JamHeadArt What is your product name? Did you install the latest version driver or the one provided by manufacturer?

Jul 25, 2021
Hi @sheng-an

I'm using an Acer Aspire A515-56 also!

I had just tried installing the 27.20.100.9316 driver since it was a few months older than the .9664 - it did not work!

I will try the 27.20.100.8439 right now and let you know.

- Oddly I noticed in my updates history AND in the device event history, there was nothing older than 22-07-2021 which is very weird, since I've been using the PC for a few months now, makes me wonder what it was using before that day it all went wrong.

EDIT:

Ok that worked for me!! The Acer-specific 27.20.100.8439 driver is key. Now I just have to remember to prevent any automatic driver updates in the future?!

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: sheng-an
Jul 22, 2021
@JamHeadArt Good news to you! Now I learn that "the latest the best" is not true ;-)

By the way, I don't have events older than 7/21/2021 for Intel Iris Xe Graphics either (in Event Viewer). That is also the date when my screen died and the driver was updated. For the events I have, they are either information or error, but I don't know what they are...

Sep 14, 2021
The internal screen died suddenly, but the external screen (connect via HDMI) is working fine. Here is what I have tried:
  1. Windows + P or functional key to project or extend display is not working.
  2. Restart the laptop. Restart without connected to the external screen. Not working.
  3. Check system update. Update to windows 10 21H1. I also uninstall the update later. Not working in either way.
  4. Display setting: I can see two screen (1 and 2). I click "1" and the "detect" bottom and it shows that "didn't detect another display."
  5. Advanced display setting: Display 1 is the internal display, connected to Intel Iris Xe Graphics, but it is not active. "Display 1 isn't active"." Display 2 is also connected to the same graphics but is work good (that is how I write this post.... ).
  6. Properties of Intel Iris Xe Graphics: (1) General "This device is working properly." (2) Driver the driver is updated (Date 6/1/2021, Version 27.20.100.9664). Not working.
  7. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant: Update Intel® Graphics - Windows® DCH Drivers (Date 7/14/2021, Version 30.0.100.9684). Reboot is required after update. Not working.
  8. Safe mode: internal screen is working! It is connected to some basic graphics. I tried update Intel Iris Xe Graphics driver to both versions (Date 6/1 and 7/14). Restart in normal mode, not working again.
I just bought it half a year. It worked fine until yesterday. I doubt it's related to physical problem. Does anyone have any idea to try to identify the problem with internal display?

Had this issue, and this solution worked for me follow this link https://www.groovypost.com/howto/pr...ettings under,connect or install new hardware.

Uninstall monitor/monitors (all) from the device manager (windows 10)
Make sure device installation manager settings is set to Yes (windows can update drivers automatically)
Restart the system.

My laptop screen worked again after this.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.