Question Laptop screen shows life for a few seconds randomly

Aug 12, 2018
This is a strange one. My friend gave me his laptop to fix.
When booting the screen works briefly but eventually turns off.
Sometimes it comes on again for a few seconds but then off again.

It works fine with an external monitor via VGA cable, and again, the laptop screen works for a few seconds but off again. When it does show, it looks fine.
It all seems sporadic, with display properties too! Sometimes it's in extended whilst other times it's duplicated. Also, the recommended optimal resolution is changes..

Bascially, I can work on the laptop itself but only with the monitor. Is it possible the drivers need reinstalling or some settings need changing, or is it buggered?
I'm a bit worried that if I uninstall the drivers, I may not get any picture at all.
After looking at a couple YouTube movies, I've reseated the RAM and drained total power from it but to no avail.

Thanks and hope you can help.

Aug 12, 2018
Thank you, I'll try re-seating the screen connections and see what happens.
It feels like it's not getting enough power and when something happens such as connecting a VGA cable, it jolts into action for just a few seconds, but I think you're right; failing video card.

Thanks again.

Aug 12, 2018
I've played about with the screen cables as much as possible but still the same result.

However, I noticed that it is possible to bring the screen back on..... as long as I keep tapping the Fn+F6/Brightness key continuously!
Obviously this is totally impractical but does this obversation narrow down the fault?

Thanks again.

hang-the-9

Titan
I've played about with the screen cables as much as possible but still the same result.

However, I noticed that it is possible to bring the screen back on..... as long as I keep tapping the Fn+F6/Brightness key continuously!
Obviously this is totally impractical but does this obversation narrow down the fault?

Thanks again.
Maybe it's an issue with the backlight. Not sure if you can fix this without trying a screen replacement first to narrow down where the issue is from. Does is work in the BIOS normally or does it not work there either?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
newuser@123 Laptop Tech Support 1
snowstorm29 Laptop Tech Support 3
N Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 4
B Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 4
G Laptop Tech Support 7
D Laptop Tech Support 10
N Laptop Tech Support 6