Solved! Laptop screen turning off

May 22, 2019
I am having a problem with my pretty brand new laptop. I have tried various forums with no answers so hopefully I can figure it out here.

Acer Nitro 5
Model - AN515-52

When I am typing sometimes the screen will go black for less than a second. I have narrowed this down to the “t” and “i” letters.
For some reason when I am typing quickly using these two letters the screen goes black and the keyboard backlight turns off and on.

If I repeatedly press these two buttons (itititititit) the laptop goes into sleep mode and I have to press another button which wakes it up and returns me to the login page.

Everything else works fine and I have had no other trouble with the keyboard or screen so I don’t know why this is happening.

Any help whatsoever will be great as I do t really want to go through the process of getting a new one considering this is less than 3 months old.

Solution
If it is that new and doing this, I would personally contact the manufacturer since it is under warranty.

It seems rather odd that it would actually power it off, unless something in the settings for the keyboard was changed, perhaps by a program, malware or virus. I would check the system thoroughly and also uninstall anything you recently installed then reboot (power it fully off and then turn it back on) the computer after doing the above and see if the problem is resolved.

You can also try the following and see if it helps, if not then I would definitely contact the manufacturer.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on...
If it is that new and doing this, I would personally contact the manufacturer since it is under warranty.

It seems rather odd that it would actually power it off, unless something in the settings for the keyboard was changed, perhaps by a program, malware or virus. I would check the system thoroughly and also uninstall anything you recently installed then reboot (power it fully off and then turn it back on) the computer after doing the above and see if the problem is resolved.

You can also try the following and see if it helps, if not then I would definitely contact the manufacturer.

3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Solution
May 22, 2019

3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Thanks for the speedy reply, I’ll try the keyboard driver and see what happens.

May 22, 2019
Quick update

I reinstalled the keyboard driver and updated the bios. The new bios has a keyboard setting that covers the backlight.
I seems to be working so far, all I can do is hope that has solved the problem.

Thanks for the help.