Laptop seems to be restricting itself

Lukesamm

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
Basically I have been playing games on my new laptop (Inspiron 17) and I was on dark souls two, not sketchy game or anything so i know it isn't the game doing it but it seems my laptop runs the game bad when i first boot it up but when i got on another game for a bit then go back to dark souls , it seems to run very well (talking about the fps), but this can be random and im really not getting why its so random with the performance. Is there anyway I can set my laptop to certain speed or even monitor this to find out what it is?

WildCard999

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
It sounds like the issue may be heat, download a program like HWmonitor then try running Dark Souls 2 and see what your cpu/gpu max temps are. Typically if your gaming and its plugged in set the power options > high performance > and see if that helps.

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Are you 'patched' ? Check and see what patches and game optimizations may be available to you.

I don't know the game, but it might be a craptastic console port that struggles on PC -- much less a laptop.

What CPU/graphics is available on your laptop? It may simply not have the Jam to run the game at your current settings. Dial-back the detail, and see how she runs.

Lukesamm

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
I have a 850m nvidia and 12gb of ram but a dual core so that might be the problem, this is a like a refined version of sous anyway and I was checking the temps and they were really low, i think its the opposite atually