Laptop shuts down immediately when unplugged after grounding plug broke off.

jasona99

Estimable
Aug 21, 2014
Hello,

When I unplugged my Samsung laptop the other day, the laptop completely died (its screen went completely black, all lights off, etc.). The battery still works really well, so this was puzzling. I then noticed the grounding prong (third, rounded prong on the plug that many devices do not have) had broken off in the socket when I had unplugged it. It would not start, so I plugged the computer back in (I needed it at the time). The battery indicator lit up, saying it was 100% charged, then I was able to start it up. Is the grounding prong missing related to the laptop not being able to run on battery? What steps should I take to get it working on battery power again? Is it safe to use the laptop without the grounding prong?

Thanks!

Solution
While you do, of course, always want to keep the grounding plug intact, it shouldn't have anything to do with the laptop being able to run on the battery. Many of the cords for the AC adapter don't even have the ground plug. Try turning the laptop off, removing the battery, unplug the AC adapter, press and hold the power button for thirty seconds, install the battery back into the laptop but don't connect the power cable and try to start the laptop on battery power.

Make sure when you are plugging the cord in for the laptop that you plug it in the normal orientation as if it still had the grounding plug so you don't reverse the polarity of the socket. I don't think it should affect anything, but it's probably better to just keep it...
While you do, of course, always want to keep the grounding plug intact, it shouldn't have anything to do with the laptop being able to run on the battery. Many of the cords for the AC adapter don't even have the ground plug. Try turning the laptop off, removing the battery, unplug the AC adapter, press and hold the power button for thirty seconds, install the battery back into the laptop but don't connect the power cable and try to start the laptop on battery power.

Make sure when you are plugging the cord in for the laptop that you plug it in the normal orientation as if it still had the grounding plug so you don't reverse the polarity of the socket. I don't think it should affect anything, but it's probably better to just keep it plugged in correctly.

Solution