Question Laptop shuts down when playing games

Jun 13, 2020
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 700 15isk, like 1 month ago, the laptop started to have random shut downs, black screen and dead, just like I would have pulled out the power supply from a desktop. At first it was happening not very often, 1/hour, something like that, but now, the game is not even finished loading (this goes for any games that I played), and my laptop is down. I took it to a service, they changed the thermal paste, they said that the power supply is ok, the ram memory is ok and they were saying that is not a overheating issue, and if he is stressing the CPU or the GPU separately, it is fine, no shut downs occur. But if both the CPU and the GPU are over stress, the laptop shuts down, and they could not find out what the problem was. I was trying with different video drivers, I've reinstalled the windows, with no results. One more thing to say, my display is kinda broken, like when I move it it has some spots where it dies, it freezes and have colored lines like if it is broken, I don't know if that could be the issue or not. Could be a GPU problem? Drivers?

Laptop specs:

Intel i7-6700hq
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 950M 4GB
ADATA XPG SSD
Windows 10

rhyalus

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi, the screen issue should not shut down the laptop (assuming it is really shutting down). I am not sure I would trust the service person that everything is fine.

I would first test RAM. You may want to download memtest and do a quick test yourself.

This could be a motherboard problem, for which there is not an easy fix. It would need to go in for repair, but since it is an older system, you might be better off just replacing it.

Do you ever get blue screens of death or is it just a hard shutdown?

R

Jun 13, 2020
Hi, the screen issue should not shut down the laptop (assuming it is really shutting down). I am not sure I would trust the service person that everything is fine.

I would first test RAM. You may want to download memtest and do a quick test yourself.

This could be a motherboard problem, for which there is not an easy fix. It would need to go in for repair, but since it is an older system, you might be better off just replacing it.

Do you ever get blue screens of death or is it just a hard shutdown?

R
I did a memtest and it was with no errors. About the BSOD, I never got any, just instant power off.