Laptop SLI question

Hello all.i just bought the new alien ware 17.currently it only have the gtx 765m which could run most games at very high setting at native resolution except.is it possible to get and SLI 765m on this new model of m17?or shoudl i just go for a single card setup.thanks.

Solution

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

This laptop already has an HDD and GPU to make things nice and hot in there. My reason would be don't add anymore heat stress since laptops already get hot easily especially when those HDDs parts start moving and that GPU goes under load. Another GPU may make it too hot to operate or simple bottleneck themselves to keep cool.

I would consider an SSD before another GPU for a laptop honestly assuming you could fit both or replaced the HDD with an SSD entirely then take simple files like music, movies nd photos on an external. Plus SSD pretty hardly produce any heat at all since there are no moving parts. Might actually help with the performance (as far as speed) of some games during load times that are directly installed onto the SSD too!

Personally you got a great GPU and honestly laptops aren't really optimized to game much harder than the settings you currently run right now due to limited cooling options. I hope this helps answer your question and perhaps sparks an idea for an alternative option to help your precious laptop perform better and stay cooler. A cooler laptop could also mean (possibly but not totally likely) that your GPU might perform better if there is less heat in there. It can run little harder cause there are less outside sources of objects in there creating heat with it.

Try to think of it as a cooling option with better load times for your OS and gaming. While the heat moster (the HDD) sits externally from the small space provided. Giving a bit more breathing room and less stuffiness for the GPU.

GPUs create more heat than HDD but the HDD doesn't help by becoming the next hottest thing in there other than the CPU bascially since the 3 hottest items are the GPU, CPU and HDD. Putting a SSD would technically mean you have eliminated roughly 30% of the heat issue sounds like a totally good option to me. Don't you think?
:bounce:

Thanks for the input.really appreciate it.You are right.actually i already planned to get an ssd for OS.guess i will go for a single card upgrade like gtx 780 or 7970m to keep the heat down.

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Yea install your games to the ssd also it will help games with long load times also. Anyhow if you feel my answer helped you please don't hesitate to select it. Happy gaming kookie3010!

Solution