Laptop slow at everything.

ChristianSA

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
So first of all, information about my laptop:

Model: QOSMIO X775-Q7380 (Qosmio X775-Q7380 Support | Toshiba)

Specs: (more can be found here: Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7380 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop - Fusion X2 Finish in Red Horizon by Toshiba at Amazon.com)
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM 6 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 1333 MHz
Hard Drive 640 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

The problem:

I don´t have the slightest clue about what is happening!. I´ve had this computer for almost two years and recently (around a month ago) it started failing. It had windows 7 with the latest service pack and fully updated.

What happened was this, suddenly my frames on League of Legends (Lol from now on) started falling:50-57 constantly changing during the start of the match and 30-40 if it lasts too long. This made me think it was my GPU or my fan, however I noticed 2 weird things:
I could play other games with no problem (Dark Souls II, for example) and lowering the settings on LoL didn´t help at all, so i passed from playing with the highest setting with no problem to a game almost unplayable in it´s lowest settings.

Also I noticed that some specific things triggered a big fall of the FPS( my computer freezes for a while), for example when a minion dies for the first time or when a turret attacks for the first time, or after it attacks in a while. I think this part is important for a reason I will explain later.

Now off to the weird stuff, my computer also started lagging on a lot of things. If i wrote in chrome or on word, sometimes the text takes 2-3 seconds to appear (my computer freezes during that time). On excel when I selected a cell the same would happen. If I click, for example, the audio controller it will take a few seconds to appear. If I right click anything, the menu will take 2-4 seconds to appear too. It´s also slow at closing windows.

With this i noticed an specific trend too, for example the audio controller and right click menu would only take a while to appear the first time I clicked it. If I kept trying it would appear instantly. (It will get slow again if I try after some time). Also if I right click anything with another menu (let´s say an icon instead of my desktop) it will take 2-3 seconds to appear too. After that i could right click both and none of them would be slow ( until some time passes). This reminds me of what happens in LoL.

So, what I did was I tried to update both my graphic drives (intel and nvidia) with the latest drivers from toshiba´s page, and it did nothing.

I decided to format my computer yesterday as I couldn´t do it before because of college. Now I have Windows 8 and the problem persists. I´ve even updated the bios driver to no result, seeing it was causing some problems with games to a lot of people.

I have also noticed that when my laptop freezes on LoL (using windows 8 task bar) the HDD performance gets stuck at 100% while my pc is frozen.

To summarize:

Problems:

-Computer is slow at some games, no problem with other ones. Some specific things make my screen freeze for a while.

-It´s also slow while doing a lot of things but only some times, mostly the first time I do a specific thing in a while. (Typing, right clicking, etc)

What I´ve tried:

-Updating both of my video drivers.

-Formating my laptop and installing windows 8.

-Installing the latest drivers (sound, video, bios) on Windows 8.

-Checking for viruses, spyware and malware (both before and after formating).

-Checking my HDD with checkdisk and seatools for windows, it has passed all the tests.

Please I really have no idea what this could be, help me?

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Have you tried updating your graphics drivers from Nvidia's website, rather than Toshiba's? Some (in my experience, most) laptop manufacturers don't tend to keep their graphics drivers up to date for very long.

ChristianSA

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014

The temperature is fine, and according to windows´ checkdisk and seatools my HDD is ok (I suspected that it was my hard drive too).

Yes I have, Toshiba´s driver performance is better. I have really tried almost everything ;(