Question Laptop suddenly running slow.

Apr 28, 2020
Hello :) Recently my laptop ( Dell Inspiron i7-5500u , 8gb ddr3l , 500gb HDD , geforce 840m ) has been running extremely slow , as much as troubling to play a video on HD or opening basic apps like office etc. So , I tried out some solutions which came to my mind :
1) I replaced the HDD with a new SSD.
At first it seemed that it was doing better but when I jumped to YT and some games it had zero effect to what someone would expect (running league of legends at 15-25 fps !?)
Then I went to the next step where I :
2) Replaced the ram.( to 4gb tho).
Think this time the laptop was a bit more responsive ( or maybe it was my hallusination ) but the problem still remains and I can't play games or watch a video .
I should also mention that I have updated all my drivers and that prior to this ,I was playing mid - high tier games at 60+ fps.
If anyone has any idea to what would cause this malfunction I would love to hear your suggestions 🙂 Thank you very much.

Christopher Ortiz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
When you opened up your laptop to replace the HDD for a SSD did you clean out the fans and make sure that the inside was not dirty. If you haven't cleaned the fans in a while your computer is maybe just having a hard time breathing.

If that doesn't work would it be possible to do a clean install of windows? I usually do a clean install on my laptop about every 6 months just to keep it running smooth. I have a M.2 SSD where I keep the OS and programs that I frequently use and have a separate drive where I keep my data and files to make clean installs a breeze without having to backup my files all the time.

Apr 28, 2020
When you opened up your laptop to replace the HDD for a SSD did you clean out the fans and make sure that the inside was not dirty. If you haven't cleaned the fans in a while your computer is maybe just having a hard time breathing.

If that doesn't work would it be possible to do a clean install of windows? I usually do a clean install on my laptop about every 6 months just to keep it running smooth. I have a M.2 SSD where I keep the OS and programs that I frequently use and have a separate drive where I keep my data and files to make clean installs a breeze without having to backup my files all the time.
Greetings again and thank you for your response🙂 I did clean out the laptop from inside and changed the thermal paste and on both cpu and gpu , is it possible that I didn't connect something correctly when I assembled it back ? I will try to reinstall Windows and download all of the drivers from Dell's official site this time.

Christopher Ortiz

Honorable
Mar 9, 2015
That shouldn't matter because the HDD is no longer in the computer. What brand of SSD are you using? I find it weird that you were able to play games before and now it's not letting you. I play League myself so I know it's not a demanding game, plus you have a GPU so it should at least give you 60 FPS on league.

Apr 28, 2020
That shouldn't matter because the HDD is no longer in the computer. What brand of SSD are you using? I find it weird that you were able to play games before and now it's not letting you. I play League myself so I know it's not a demanding game, plus you have a GPU so it should at least give you 60 FPS on league.
The SSD is a Patriot Burst 240GB