Laptop suggestions for casual gaming?

Vie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
- My budget is under or around $800 ideally, max $1000.

- A 15 inch screen would be nice because I travel a lot.

- Battery life isn't an issue.

- I play League of Legends often and I dabble around in other games, usually medium settings.

- Besides games, I'd be watching netflix, a bit of photo editing, lots of web surfing.

- I don't need a lot of storage. I've never filled more than 150 gb on any of my previous laptops.

- I live in Canada, but I have a US address I can ship to

- I don't really care what brand as long as it's dependable and will last a long time, but I do get a company discount from Dell I was hoping to use.

- My old laptop was a Toshiba Satellite with 4 GB RAM and 300 GB hard drive. It was about 3 yrs old and had issues with lag and freezing and overheating. I spend a lot of time on my computer, usually 8-12 hrs during a day. I had to get a gaming grade cooling fan to get it to play a couple games of LoL or just browse the internet/watch videos without overheating.

armapker

Distinguished
May 19, 2012
I am giving you a few options to choose from, if you would like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829

Unless you are willing to spend $950, this is the best you will get (everything in the $700-$800 range doesn't perform any better)

-Quad core AMD 2.5GHz processor
-Powerful integrated graphics (about equivalent to a Nvidia 740M)
-6GB RAM
-15.6" Screen
-Will run most games on medium (games like Crysis 3 or intensive games will need to be on low)
-Advantages: Cheap but still runs games well, Lenovo is a good quality brand, integrated graphics are still powerful while gaming but don't put off a lot of heat while watching netflix, web surfing
- Disadvantages: integraphed graphics means that it has to borrow system RAM

If you ARE willing to spend $950, this is the best:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313583

- i5 4200M (SLIGHLY more powerful than the AMD quad core mentioned previously)
- 750M SLI (ok, this is about 3-4x better graphically wise. But be prepared for 1.5 hour battery life and a really hot laptop)
- 15.6" screen
- 8GB RAM
- Will run almost all current games on medium and most on high
- Advantages: POWERFUL!!!!, Lenovo is again a quality brand
- Disadvantages: worse than option #1 for travel as it is heavier by about 1.5 lbs and won't have a lot of battery life.

FINAL NOTE: They are both compromises, the cheaper AMD laptop offers good gaming performance in a lightweight very portable package for fairly cheap, and the more expensive intel/nvidia laptop offers fantastic gaming performance sacrificing battery life and portability (even though its the same size, its a bit heavier)

Hope this helps you make a decision :)

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
How much Discount do you get with dell? I cant search for a laptop without knowing. Also please remember that your laptop will get hot everytime you play.

armapker

Distinguished
May 19, 2012
I am giving you a few options to choose from, if you would like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829

Unless you are willing to spend $950, this is the best you will get (everything in the $700-$800 range doesn't perform any better)

-Quad core AMD 2.5GHz processor
-Powerful integrated graphics (about equivalent to a Nvidia 740M)
-6GB RAM
-15.6" Screen
-Will run most games on medium (games like Crysis 3 or intensive games will need to be on low)
-Advantages: Cheap but still runs games well, Lenovo is a good quality brand, integrated graphics are still powerful while gaming but don't put off a lot of heat while watching netflix, web surfing
- Disadvantages: integraphed graphics means that it has to borrow system RAM

If you ARE willing to spend $950, this is the best:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313583

- i5 4200M (SLIGHLY more powerful than the AMD quad core mentioned previously)
- 750M SLI (ok, this is about 3-4x better graphically wise. But be prepared for 1.5 hour battery life and a really hot laptop)
- 15.6" screen
- 8GB RAM
- Will run almost all current games on medium and most on high
- Advantages: POWERFUL!!!!, Lenovo is again a quality brand
- Disadvantages: worse than option #1 for travel as it is heavier by about 1.5 lbs and won't have a lot of battery life.

FINAL NOTE: They are both compromises, the cheaper AMD laptop offers good gaming performance in a lightweight very portable package for fairly cheap, and the more expensive intel/nvidia laptop offers fantastic gaming performance sacrificing battery life and portability (even though its the same size, its a bit heavier)

Hope this helps you make a decision :)

Vie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I think the discount is 10%. And sorry, by "overheating" i meant getting so hot that it shuts itself off after a couple games of league

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Ouch that sounds bad. I really like this laptop for your budget: http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n550jvdb71-p-6115.html

One of the greatest screens at that price: Antiglare IPS 1080p, GT 750m, i7 4700HQ. Anyway this laptop its Profesional looking, lightweight and has a great cooling system.

The Lenovo might sound like a great idea with a GT 750m sli, but please remember that the lenovo temps are Almost +55°C on ASD keys . While Asus has under 35°C with same full load. Lenovo has greater GPU power, but still... The entire middle-upper left part on Lenovo even in idle state is ~35°C.

armapker

Distinguished
May 19, 2012

35 degrees in idle is accually pretty cool. Since lenovo uses aluminum chassis, it will not only help with heat but when it is idle it will accually be a bit cold. (I own a Lenovo Y570 so I can vouch for this)

Vie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
A friend recommended the lenovo ideapad y510p or the msi gp60 2od-077us. Any thought on these? I'm liking the lenovo one.

armapker

Distinguished
May 19, 2012

The MSI is a bit so-so. And, didn't I reccomend the Y510p in my original post? Lol...

Vie

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Oh, you did...i guess i just looked at the specs and didn't notice the brand and model. Alrightly lenovo it is. Thanks for the help. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
JoostJoost Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 3
W Laptop Tech Support 3