Laptop suggestions.. PC similar to a Macbook Air?

drdavidge

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hey, looking for suggestions for a laptop for my wife. She loves her 13" Macbook Air from work but wants to find something similar in the PC family for home. Important: thin, light, great battery life, nice display, and a touch-pad that works well, doesn't move when you don't want it to, and "isn't annoying". She is really big on the touchpad thing - its her biggest annoyance on her current old Dell (aside from it being incredibly slow). Any suggestions?

1. What is your budget? $700-1200

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1600 x 900 or higher - higher the better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable

5. How much battery life do you need? would like 6+ hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Web Surfing, Office, Music, Movie Viewing. General usage on the couch, etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 250GB +

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Not really yet

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Ideally 5+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Not really necessary

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I currently have a few year old Acer that I think is great. Had a lot of issues with an old Dell Inspiron from 5+ years ago so I am a bit skeptical abut the new Dell's but the Dell XPS seems like it could fit what she wants.

13. What country do you live in? USA

Thanks!

I was going to say the new dell xps 13 but as you have not had good experiences with it you don't have to get it. The other choice that I know is the asus ux302 or 303 la. Both are very good for this and should last you for years. The other option is to go with the cheapest option which are chromebooks as they are perfect for the generally user. But many software are not compatible with them so make sure that you check if the current software you use can be used on it. The other option I can think of are the lenovo x series.