Solved! Laptop suggestions

defreel

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I am new to the laptop world. I have a desktop that I am happy with and am not going to replace, but needs dictate a laptop because I won't be able to use the desktop for a while.

1_What is your budget?
- Budget is around $1000, can spend a bit (a couple of hundred or so) more if I get something for it I also don't have to spend it all if I don't need to and I am not getting bang for the buck for what I am trying to do.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- 16 to 17 inch (mid 15 may not be bad)

3_What screen resolution do you want?
- I assume at least 1600 x 900, but again, lower res if it is still good for the size screen. I will not be watching blurays on this machine in general, and if i watch movies at all, I realize it isn't going to be the best, but I am not getting a laptop to watch stuff on.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
- No...not replacing desktop

5_How much battery life do you need?
- at least 2 hours, but not too picky. Will mostly be used plugged in to the wall.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- Will mainly play EQ2 (low to medium settings at native resolution whether it is 1600 x 900, 1650 x 1080, etc.., may bring up 2 instances of the game), maybe some Diablo II (800 x 600).

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
- Basic internet surfing, email. Maybe a place to store digital pictures from camera so I can offload the disk.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
- 250 Gig minimum (not a hard constraint, no pun intended).

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
- Don't really care, but I do need to get it in less than 2 weeks.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
- For a few years to play as a back-up when I am traveling.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
- DVD ROM/Writer, no need for Bluray. Could even do just a DVD ROM. Write capability not big for me, but could be handy when I am traveling.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- I'm so new to the laptop world, I am not sure. I am not a fan of Compaq for some reason, but I will consider any at this point. I have read alot of bad reviews of the ASUS G73, but I have always liked ASUS motherboards, so not sure what to think. The G73 does look intriguing.

13_What country do you live in?
- USA, but I need it to have a 110/220V power supply.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have read on this site other systems and am still not sure which way I should go. The Acer that was suggested for $800 seems intriguing, but for a little more, I wasn't sure if I would get any bang for the buck for what I am trying to play. I have never researched the different mobile graphics cards so I am a little lost. I will want at least 4 gigs of RAM and wireless N of some kind. I would think a dedicated video card would be best, but would consider other if they do they job without costing performance.

defreel

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, I had seen you mention this one before. It also saves money but since I was unfamiliar with that mobile 5650 graphics card, I just wasn't sure it was enough (though my desktop that is fine uses an old 8800GTX). You and many others had mentioned a 5650 is sort of a minimum for any type of gaming. I had heard comments about 1600 x 900 being a "sucky" resolution, but that may be for people who want Bluray movies or something, and that just isn't the case for me. I was just "seduced" a bit by the Asus G73, but at $400 more, I wasn't sure if I was really getting anything I would need. The 5870 video was what had me looking the most. But again, I had to look at my requirements, and I am not trying to better my desktop per se, I just wanted a traveling machine to stay "hooked up" with my game, mainly EQ2.

Thank you Maziar for a quick reply. I was sort of leaning towards this Acer or the G73, and it looks like the G73 may not be worth the extra money.

So, just to beat a dead horse. What is your opinion between the Acer you showed and the $1200 G73 (that BB carries). I realize it is $400, but for you, and in your opinion, is the $400 worth it? I know this is a hard question, but just putting it out there anyway.

defreel

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I know I said that was all I wanted, but I may go look at the G73. If they have it in stock and I can get it now, I may just do that. If I have to order one, I may just stick with the Acer. Thanks again for your input. The G73 should "last" longer because of the better graphics processing.

$amurai

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
If you have the money, the G73 is a great laptop. But do you really need such great specs? Everquest and Diablo aren't exactly Crysis. You could stand to spend hundreds less and you wouldn't notice a difference.
Personally, I wouldn't spring for the Asus because you really have no reason to. The Acer is a lot cheaper and will give you the same basic performance on non-intensive games like Everquest.

defreel

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Thank you all again for the responses. It gave me alot of things to think about and made me continue thinking on what the purpose of my purchase was and my needs for the laptop.

I was going to get the G73 after reading posts and looking at the things. One of the criteria I never mentioned was that I sort of wanted to get one locally if I could because I will be going away soon and need the computer. So, mail order can be fast, but if there happened to be a problem, then there was not going to be enough time to RMA it and deal with that stuff and still get a notebook. So, I went to my local BB and looked for the G73. They were out of stock, but had a G60, which I know is a smaller screen, is about ready to be updated, and didn't have the i7 chip. But, for my needs the i5 and 330M graphics will probably work. The graphics pales to the 5870, but cost for performance for what I needed right now I think this should work. If I am wrong (and I a often am), I am not out of pocket much for this setup. It was open box, I can bang on it until I leave to get kinks worked out, and it only cost me $680.

I did sacrifice a bit on screen and CPU, and alot on graphics M330 vs 5870, but for what I am going to play, the M330 should do it and if I have needs down the road for a laptop and this just doesn't do it for me in the future, there are always more to buy. :)

I do appreciate the comments, and even if it may look like I didn't follow them, I did. They did help me come to a decision and make me realize I didn't have to spend alot to do what I wanted.