Solved! Laptop switches on itself, but with a black screen, please help

Nov 21, 2019
Hi, i have a 2015 dell vostro 3546, running windows 10 enterprise. After shutting down, at night, the next morning, it is half awake, i.e. the caplock key can be turned on and off and the laptop fan is hot, but the screen doesn't work. I have to use the power button to shut it and restart everytime.
Also, if i do a shutdown and start it in a matter of few minutes it will work or if i remove the battery it work fine.
I have done a few things like disable fast start up, and disable hardware from doing a start up but to no avail.
I run on my my institutions LAN network and the cable is usually connected, though its not scheduled to start my PC up.
Please help, thank you

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try...
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution