Question Laptop to TV Mirroring Without Phone?

jason wynngard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
My current equipment:
65" dumb TV (Atyme)
Asus 17" Republic of Gamers laptop. 24GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Spectrum modem and router, 35Mbps

My question: Is there a device allowing laptop to TV screen mirroring WITHOUT using a cell phone to navigate the casting device's menu?

Why the question:
I have a distrust of using the cell phone for mirroring purposes. I think it is just an avenue for wireless cell providers to suckle at the nipple of your wallet by charging bandwidth and/or other additional fees. As with cable and satellite services, they always find a means or excuse to charge you sooner or later.

Feb 16, 2022
Such a device exists and is called Chromecast.
You can transfer the image thanks to this prefix. If one of these devices is connected to your TV, you can transfer a picture from your computer to it using the Windows or macOS operating system. True, only open tabs in the Chrome browser are transmitted.
Just open the menu in the Chrome browser (click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen), and then click on the “Broadcast” item. After that, you will have to select the desired Chromecast device from the list, and your browser tab will appear on the TV screen. On a computer, you can switch to other tabs, but the Chromecast will continue to cast the first tab you opened.
Well, the easiest way out is an HDMI cable.

jason wynngard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
What I seek and what you describe are different things. I'm not seeking to just throw a picture to my TV screen. At one time before they disabled it, the original Chromecast allowed me to watch streamed movies, sports, and live so forth events thrown to my TV. Then that changed, the original Chromecast key-shaped device was rendered nonfunctional. What's more, I didn't have to use an app like Netflix, Prime, HBO...membership subscription to view video media. Whatever showed on my laptop screen, showed up on my TV. Chromecast Snow does provide a remote, so I guess that bypasses the forced navigate and mirror by cell phone. My laptop is in a workroom, my TV in a living room. I will keep looking to see if a truly independent mirror device still exists. If not, I may mount a TV up on the workroom walls and HDMI link it to the laptop, as you suggest. Thanks for answering all the same.

My current equipment:
65" dumb TV (Atyme)
Asus 17" Republic of Gamers laptop. 24GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Spectrum modem and router, 35Mbps

My question: Is there a device allowing laptop to TV screen mirroring WITHOUT using a cell phone to navigate the casting device's menu?

Why the question:
I have a distrust of using the cell phone for mirroring purposes. I think it is just an avenue for wireless cell providers to suckle at the nipple of your wallet by charging bandwidth and/or other additional fees. As with cable and satellite services, they always find a means or excuse to charge you sooner or later.

Without extra equipment you can't send anything from your laptop to the TV wirelessly. You can however just use an HDMI cable and use the TV as a monitor. They also sell wireless HDMI transmitters but those don't work well over distance and every one I have seen needs line of sight. You can use ethernet wiring to send the signal but you would need a network run between the rooms you are using.

Not sure what you think screen casting does from a phone, but it does use any bandwidth of your data plan or cost extra. It works through your internal network.

jason wynngard

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
I asked about screen mirroring, not casting. Folks use the terms interchangeably, but they are distinct. I'm abandoning seeking help on this forum to explore possible options elsewhere. In a nutshell, I was trying to regain the ability to mirror my screen I had before Chromecast changed things. See my post responding to Johnmo89. And finally, the difference between what I'm asking about and what you proffer. The info is for the benefit of anyone who desires to know the difference between mirroring and casting. Thanks for trying to help all the same. Appreciate you taking the time.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Screen Mirroring Wireless Display

What it is: Screen mirroring acts just like when you look in a mirror. When you move your physical arm, the reflection does the same. With screen mirroring, whatever you see on one device is exactly what you see happening on the other.

For example, showing your exact desktop, laptop, phone or tablet screen and all of the movements on another screen display that is in the same room.

How to use it: You can do wired screen mirroring with an HDMI cable, or get a wireless display with a device like Screenbeam Mini2.

To successfully screen mirror, you need a TV or monitor that supports this technology. Meaning that it can receive content via built-in technology like AirPlay or Mirecast, or by using a screen-mirroring adapter and receiver kit.
========================================
Recap on the difference between these three screen-duplicating technologies:

Here is a quick recap on the differences:

• Screen mirroring: a mirror image or experience of your exact screen. See also: duplicate, reflection. The content is on both devices at the same time in the same room.
  • Screen casting: one device “casts out” its content onto another larger display. Often a phone to a TV display.
  • Screen sharing: a mirror image or experience of your exact screen. See also: duplicate, reflection. The content is on both devices at the same time in different locations.

At the end of the day, these terms are not strict. Most often, people will get the gist of what you are talking about. However, it doesn’t hurt to know the differences between these mirroring, casting and sharing technologies so that you can benefit from the best technology for your situation!

Screen mirroring doesn’t require Wi-Fi because it creates its own wireless peer-to-peer connection with the display that supports screen mirroring. For example, when screen mirroring your favorite streaming platforms from your phone onto you smart TV, and you don’t have an internet connection, you can still screen mirror content if your device or smart TV supports screen mirroring.

When to use it: Screen mirroring is great for in-person settings. It allows the presenter to work or show content from a more accessible device like a laptop but presents the content for the whole room to see.

For example, you can screen mirror at home if you want to show friends and family pictures or share a funny meme or video with the whole room.

Screen Casting Wireless Display

What it is: screen casting is similar to mirroring except that you cast the content onto another screen display and no longer see it on both devices. For example, if you cast content from your phone to your TV, you will only see it on your TV.

How to use it: You can screen cast with technology like Google’s Chromecast or similar streaming devices and applications. Once you have successfully cast the content onto your TV, you will have to control everything from your TV not your phone or computer.

When to use it: Screen casting is great when you want to see content on a larger screen. For example, playing a game on your phone or watching YouTube videos from your phone. Casting them onto your TV offers a bigger and (sometimes) better display.