Solved! Laptop turns off suddenly

Feb 19, 2019
I have a Lenovo G40-70, i5 4th gen, 12 GB RAM. After 3 months of use, it started turning off while on battery with no warning notification or sound. I can't even use it for 20 minutes max. The battery might read 50%-90% and suddenly is drained to 0% and turns off.
I don't think it shuts down, because when I plug in the charger and turn it on, the windows I opened before it turned off are always intact. The fan seems to be working fine too and I checked the charger with another laptop and it doesn't have a problem either.
Also, when I connect the charger and then it on, the battery is always about 20%-40% full. It only takes up to 30 minutes to fully charge it and when I lower the brightness, it only takes a few seconds.
I checked to see how the power changes(with low brightness) when I work with Unity and it read as follows;
100% - 6hr+
99% - 3hr+
98% - 5hr+
94% - 6hr+
And poof, it goes off.
Haven't checked the thermal paste yet, and it would be really embarrassing if it's only an issue with the battery ?.

Edit: even without using any app, it turns off at 89%. I don't have many background apps running either.

Last edited:
Solution
It is likely the battery. They tend to act rather odd when they are going bad. Charging way faster than normal, and then dying when they say they still have a high percentage left.

This happens because when they start to hold less and less of a charge, they give false readings as if the parts that no longer hold a charge are still good. So, since you are actually accessing and using less of the capacity of the battery, it charges the smaller amount way faster. Personally I think they need to make software read them better and give correct data. :)
It is likely the battery. They tend to act rather odd when they are going bad. Charging way faster than normal, and then dying when they say they still have a high percentage left.

This happens because when they start to hold less and less of a charge, they give false readings as if the parts that no longer hold a charge are still good. So, since you are actually accessing and using less of the capacity of the battery, it charges the smaller amount way faster. Personally I think they need to make software read them better and give correct data. :)

Reactions: Somosaphiens
Solution