Laptop turns on/off repeatedly, doesn't display anything on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
My HP DV6700 turns on and off repeatedly after pressing the power button. The LED lights turn on and I can hear it making noise but then it shuts off before anything is displayed on the screen, and then it turns off and then turns on again and repeats the process. I have tried reseating the RAM to no avail. Is there anything else I can do?

EDIT: I have tried holding the power button down for a minute with the battery and AC adapter removed. Actually, the last thing I did before this issue started was holding down the power button for a minute. I tried it again anyway.

Pressing F10 quickly during boot causes the laptop to hang at black screen. The black screen slightly flashes between dark black and light black, as if the screen's backlight is turning on and off. It is very slight.

I tried reseating my hard drive, disc drive, and CMOS battery for ten sconds, no benefit.

Solution
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, That particular behavior usually indicates a bad main board in HP's The CQ series of compaq's share the same components with a different color scheme.

The good news is that the HDD is just fine and you can pull your data from it.

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
try starting it plugged in and with the battery removed.
with no power going into it (unplugged and battery removed) try to press and keep pressed the power button for about a minute. should force a bios reset. and than try again to start

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

I tried this again and it did not work. Holding down the power button for a minute is actually the last thing I did before this issue started.

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

F2 didn't do anything, but F10 causes it to stay on without shutting off, but the screen stays black, however the screen's backlight appears to be turning on and off, causing the black screen to flash between dark black and light black. (edited for accuracy)

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

probably best to take it to a repair shop, might need to hard reset the bios or replace the bios battery...

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Can I reset the bios myself? Can I replace the bios battery myself? I made a mistake in my last comment, the slight flashing of the screen only occurs after I press F10.

MoPCTech

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, That particular behavior usually indicates a bad main board in HP's The CQ series of compaq's share the same components with a different color scheme.

The good news is that the HDD is just fine and you can pull your data from it.

Solution

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

I plugged in my monitor and it didn't detect a signal.

geo141

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

I guess there is nothing I can do then? Besides never buy an HP computer ever? That thing is such a piece of crap. First the hard drive fails, the AC adapter has problems keeping itself together, I break two ribbons and a gripping mechanism (the crappiest components I have ever seen) when trying to take the laptop apart, and then the main board fails when I hold down the power button for a minute! On top of all that, when it was working it was running crappier than my older dell laptop! HP is garbage.

p_d12186

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
Try Removing the ram one by one and also out one ram in either slot.Mine was doing the same think.Turned out that one ram slot was bad.I run it now with only one ram stick on the slot that works.Good Luck.

BRAVEbooce

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Got a solution ( at least for me) I pressed f10 which put it into a monitor off lights on standby type of deal( as said above ) then pressed control alt and delete which started the screen and booted the laptop up

Honestly I don't know if this is a fluke or somthing, considering the laptop is only 2 days old, but this does seem like a more serious problem and switch it out/ refund it if still under warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.