Question Laptop USB Over voltage issue

May 18, 2019
Best answers
Hi, I have a HP Spectre x360 laptop (13-w018tu). Yesterday, I tried to connect an external DVD drive, I accidentally connected a 12V EXTERNAL POWER (recommend 5V) to it, and I connected the USB to my laptop. (I hadn't connected the external power to the laptop; was using from the battery power) Suddenly, the laptop went off and I smelled a bad odor (circuit nothing smell for a while) near the USB port. Whenever I try to turn it on, the power switch buld turns on for half a second and turns off. Nothing else happens.

I removed the back cover, and disconnected the battery power first, and removed the ribbon cable of the USB port unit which I connected the DVD drive. Then I reconnected the battery power cable and tried to turn it on. But the problem still exists.

I wish to know what could be the exact problem in this case. Does it means that I have fried the motherboard and cannot be repaired? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

webworkings

Titan
Apr 6, 2016
Best answers
Sounds like you fried something to me. I would have the laptop looked at.

You really have to be careful when connecting things to a laptop, or any other device, that involves power. It is really easy to cause damage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 3
Z Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 2