Laptop used to be fast now Slow

AZFuego

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
My laptop used to run fast. Now it's slow and gets hung up all the time. I'm running windows 8. It came pre-installed with it and no disk so I don't believe re-installing is an option. It is an intel i5 with 8GB of RAM. I have 311GB free of a 600GB hard drive. What can I do?

popatim

Splendid
Almost all laptops come with a way to make your disks. Since you don't list which make or model laptop you have then all I can do is refer you to the owners manual, which might be on the harddrive too. At minimum you can make a System repair disk from windows Backup & Restore utility; and if you have an external hdd you can create an image file of your drive exactly as it is now plus run a backup.

As for the slowdown it could be a number of things; heat buildup, hdd full or problematic, laptop put into power saving mode by someone else (software), malware/virus ...

The important thing here is to have your disks so you dont end up buying windows again, and to backup your important files (because its only a matter of when will your hdd break, not if it will)