Solved! Laptop Webcam working properly, but displaying only black screen

Jan 26, 2021
I used my laptop as normal on Wednesday for a Zoom meeting, no issues.
I tried to log into my Zoom meeting on Friday morning, and all I'm getting is a black screen. The camera function is working correctly, it's just not displaying anything but a black screen.

I've rebooted the laptop twice, checked the camera permissions, updated Zoom, tried the camera on the Windows camera app and through Discord and webcamtests.com, (which is erroring out every time I try it,) so the issue is my laptop, not Zoom.
I checked the camera drivers, no new updates.
I checked for Windows updates, and installed Feature Update Win10, v20H2 last night, and restarted the laptop again.
The only step on the internet guides that I have not tried is to remove the laptop battery and re-install it, and I'm not confident enough to do that.
I do not have a F10 "camera-off" function button. I did recently stick on a camera privacy shield, maybe 5 weeks ago. Yes, it's open.

Now, it's a 6-year-old laptop that I never unplug, so the battery is probably shot, and it's currently blinking red and stuck at 72% (not charging higher, afraid to unplug in case it goes lower.) Would that have any affect on the webcam?

It's an Asus Model N56JN, Win10, ESET, Chrome browser. I bought it as a workhorse, have never used it to its full potential. I could invest in a (another) new battery (this time out of warranty), or I could get a modern laptop for about the same price as the battery replacement that'll handle docs & internetting just fine.

Solution
UPDATE: Working now.
Someone suggested I uninstall the driver. I did, rebooted, did not need to re-install, so tried un-installing again, rebooted, did not need to re-install. So I tried "Disable" and then "enable".
None of this worked.

The next suggestion was a reset, which I'd prefer not to do, but I got out my portable HDD and backed up my computer for the first time in a couple years (I know).

Within minutes of the backup being completed, the camera started working again! No idea why.

Thanks for looking!
Jan 26, 2021
UPDATE: Working now.
Someone suggested I uninstall the driver. I did, rebooted, did not need to re-install, so tried un-installing again, rebooted, did not need to re-install. So I tried "Disable" and then "enable".
None of this worked.

The next suggestion was a reset, which I'd prefer not to do, but I got out my portable HDD and backed up my computer for the first time in a couple years (I know).

Within minutes of the backup being completed, the camera started working again! No idea why.

Thanks for looking!

Solution