Laptop with decent screen for graphic design/photo editing/3D

Tonsai

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
Hi!
After spending a week on research I'm just becoming more confused, so I decided to ask advice.
I need to buy a laptop that I can use for graphic design, Photoshop retouch, and 3D. I am very aware that it is not optimal to work on a laptop and that displays on laptops aren't so good while being really expensive, comparing with desktops, but I still need a laptop because of moving around as a digital nomad.
The laptop is an investment, I want to be able to really work on it for some years. I was counting with budget around 1600 USD; turns out it isn't so simple, so I might have to rise it a bit. Cant go over 2000 USD though.

Specs I am looking for: i5/i7, dedicated graphics card, min. 8gb ram, 17" (since it is my only monitor, 15" for graphics is too small) and the most important is the display. I would want 100% sRGB coverage, good color accuracy, DeltaE preferably under 3 before calibration. I'm not sure if I would want a 100% AdobeRGB as I have read that colors can be really off on these screens and they have to be recalibrated every hour. So far I have also mostly worked for screen and only at times for print.
I have also seen quite a few designers using gaming machines as those have better specs. Asus ROG G752 seems to have good display, IPS, with good color accuracy, but sRGB is 90%. Asus ROG G751 is said to have 93%. Lenovo Y70 - 87%.
I guess I would want to know what is crucial when it comes to displays. First and foremost, could I live with sRGB 93%?? How important is IPS (I guess IPS has to do mainly with viewing angles)? How about contrast ratio, black level, gamma and brightness distribution? What should I really look for when looking for a decent display? By decent I guess I mean a display on which I could work while still being able to afford it :)

Solution

Dont go with...

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
Go with a Lenovo, P50 or P70, both of these models have really good screens the specs you need and they were designed to be used in the way that you will use your machine they have better batteries and cooling than a ROG will. You shouldnt buy a gaming laptop for 3d work because they arent as durable and wont handle the excess heat during extended renders and what not.

Tonsai

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
P70 is certainly an excellent workstation, with 72% NTSC that corresponds to my desired sRGB. And I have a possibility to configure it on Lenovo's website and order exactly what I need. The problem is though the price. The minimum desired configuration ended up costing 2900 USD and that is really more than I can afford.
As long as the display would be fine and other specs ok, a weaker battery and worse cooling maybe I could live with. I have had two Toshibas, both with great heat problems, switching off mid-game even with a working gamer fan under, but Toshibas have really been the worst when it comes to cooling. How about a MSI or maybe Gigabyte? What is the minimum sRGB I could settle with without acting stupid?

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Dont go with any sRGB lower than about 70%. I can attest to the fact that any lower just ends up being a low end screen. Also MSI laptops have poor upgrade paths and bad cooling, as the cpu and gpu are piped via one or 2 heat pipes and that bottlenecks the cooling.

Solution