Solved! Laptop with docking station - audio output problem

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
Hello, I'm using HP laptop with a docking station having two DisplayPort outputs. These are connected to two monitors with inbuilt speakers. I want to fix the monitor to which audio output will be passed on over DisplayPort. But it does not seem to work with Windows 10. Restarting the laptop switches the DisplayPort to which audio output is passed on. Is there any way to fix it? TIA.

Solution
If the monitors are exactly the same, then it sounds like it is giving the system confusion. You could try...

1. Disconnect the monitor that you don't want the sound through.
  2. Clear/remove the info on that device in "Playback".
  3. With just the one you want sound through connected, set that one as the default device.
  4. Reconnect the other monitor.

Now if that doesn't stop it, then I would contact the manufacturer about the problem.
Try this...
  1. Go to "Control Panel".
  2. Click on "Sound".
  3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
  4. Click on the device you want set as your main sound (it must be connected) to highlight it. Not to open it.
  5. Right click on them and choose to set them as the "Default device".
  6. The click "Apply" and "OK".
It should now stay as the device.

Reactions: dreamfellar

dreamfellar

Commendable
Oct 14, 2019
The default device is already correctly set to "AMD DP Output (AMD High Definition Audio Device)". But there are two monitors connected using DisplayPort outputs. Both of the monitors have inbuilt speakers. The problem is that audio output switches between these two monitors after system restart. Is there any way to fix it to one specific monitor?

If the monitors are exactly the same, then it sounds like it is giving the system confusion. You could try...

1. Disconnect the monitor that you don't want the sound through.
  2. Clear/remove the info on that device in "Playback".
  3. With just the one you want sound through connected, set that one as the default device.
  4. Reconnect the other monitor.

Now if that doesn't stop it, then I would contact the manufacturer about the problem.

Reactions: dreamfellar
Solution