Laptop with GTX 1060 and 1TB SSD and a docking station

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Here is what I want to get:

A laptop with GTX 1060, dual 1TB SSDs that can be mirrored.
Also want it to be 17" or at least 15" and 4K and run all that in a docking station. Recommend the parts?

I want to run with the Dell U3216Q 32" 4K monitor via HDMI 2.0.

Solution
There is nothing wrong with RAID 1 (mirror) for SSDs. It all depends on how important the files you are working with how inconvenient it would be to restore data from a backup source.

If you are always on the move and do not want to be weighed down with an external hard drive for backup purposes, then RAID 1 for SSD is an excellent solution.

I'm waiting for 2TB SSDs to dropped to a "reasonable" price.
Look in www.xoticpc.com see what is available. They tend to have very good customization setups there and are pretty easy to sort. http:// Docking stations you will really only find in business class systems not the gaming ones. There are universal docks that use USB but those are not very good for using for gaming.

dictum9

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
An SSD is reliable and fast -- until it experiences total failure at the end of its lifespan.

Why shouldn't I mirror it daily to ensure integrity of my data? I do the same thing with my HDD and it has saved me once. Take the number of copies of data you have and substract 1 and that's how much you have.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006

I'd just do it as a backup job, rather than a mirror, dropping out of arrays and such then won't be a problem. I may have been thinking raid0 for some unknown reason.

Edit, maybe I wouldn't, maybe mirroring is best, how much do you need uptime?

There is nothing wrong with RAID 1 (mirror) for SSDs. It all depends on how important the files you are working with how inconvenient it would be to restore data from a backup source.

If you are always on the move and do not want to be weighed down with an external hard drive for backup purposes, then RAID 1 for SSD is an excellent solution.

I'm waiting for 2TB SSDs to dropped to a "reasonable" price.

Solution