laptop with sealed-in battery

super11

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
hi , with my old laptop i got used to remove the battery when the pc is plugged in to increse its life ,but the PC i'm planning to buy have a sealed-in battery , So i want to know if there's a way to deactivate the battery when the laptop is plugged in to protect it ???

Solution
With Li-Ion cells it's best to keep them between 20% and 80% charge for longest life. These are the cells used in hybrid vehicles (such as the Prius) and the 20-80 cycle allows the battery packs to last at least 300,000 miles.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Yes. And further discharging and recharging Li-ion batteries does NOT materially decrease it's life expectancy. Li-ion batteries slowly degrade REGARDLESS how much you use them. Usually after about 5 years, they'll be all but useless whether recharged daily or not at all.

And further discharging and recharging Li-ion batteries does NOT materially decrease it's life expectancy.
Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure cycles are still a large part of battery wear, though time certainly has an impact too.

Finding actual concrete evidence of anything relating to batteries is damn hard; the actual studies are all paywalled and everyone else is repeating hearsay.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
With Li-Ion cells it's best to keep them between 20% and 80% charge for longest life. These are the cells used in hybrid vehicles (such as the Prius) and the 20-80 cycle allows the battery packs to last at least 300,000 miles.

Solution