Laptop won’t connect

Jun 21, 2018
I’m trying to connect my Acer laptop to WiFi router but it asks me for a network security key. This is not printed on the back of the router. I have tried the WPA on the router and my laptop is showing incorrect security key. I have cleared all other wifi networks and rebooted but no joy. Any ideas.

Solution
If your router came with an ethernet cable, connect it to your laptop and the router. On the laptop, press the Wiondows key and R together then in the Run box, type
cmd /k ipconfig /all
and hit Enter.

A black Cmmand form shows up and the information you need is shown under Default Gateway. It will look like 192.168.0.1.

Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and put those numbers in the URL bar as though it was an Internet address. That connects you with the router but you need to log in with a username and password. Often it will be admin for the name and password for the password but it may be printed on the case.

If you get in, look for the wireless security key.
If your router came with an ethernet cable, connect it to your laptop and the router. On the laptop, press the Wiondows key and R together then in the Run box, type
cmd /k ipconfig /all
and hit Enter.

A black Cmmand form shows up and the information you need is shown under Default Gateway. It will look like 192.168.0.1.

Open Internet Explorer or any other browser and put those numbers in the URL bar as though it was an Internet address. That connects you with the router but you need to log in with a username and password. Often it will be admin for the name and password for the password but it may be printed on the case.

If you get in, look for the wireless security key.

Solution