laptop won't boot after applying thermal compound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad luck

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Greetings y'all,

lately my 2 year old laptop has been overheating really bad ( 200f / 93c) so yesterday i decided to clean my laptop and apply a new thermal paste unfortunately that's when the real trouble began so here is what i did and what happened:

First i opend up the laptop (battery and plug disconnected) and cleaned the dust from the fan and the radiator then i removed the old thermal from the cpu and gpu using 76% alcohol after that I applied the new thermal (and to be honest I think I applied a little bit too much) and so after everything is said and done i reseated the heat sink and everything else and tried to start up the laptop and here is the wired thing the lights that indicates that the pc is on are lit as well as the wifi but the screen stays completely black even the battery charging light won't light up (when inserted) .

Now I tried everything from taking the cemos battery out to plugging an external monitor i even tried to take the battery and the plug out and hold the power button for a good 2 min (to completely discharge the main board) and then tried to boot but no dice .

Anyways here are my specs

asus n56jk
i7 4700hq
gtx 850m
16 ram
256 samsung ssd
750 hdd
windows 10
1080p screen

this thing is really expensive and i really dont wanna replace the main board so please tell me it didn't die.
thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post and any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
I'm sorry but I cant seem to find pictures of what your labtop looks like on the inside so I'm going to have to ask you questions.

does your power connector plug directly into the main board?
is your cpu in a socket (you can remove it from the mainboard)?

do you think you can do a benchtest as I describe following...you would have to be able to have the mainboard outside the case on something non condutive. (just the mainboard). you may have to remove the power button from the case also and hook it up. then hook up an your external monitor and try to power it up and see it will just post. (don't hook up the battery hard drive or anything else to the mainboard) that way you would know if the cpu/ram/motherboard are ok.

yes I know it...

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
what thermal paste did you use? if its a condutive one to much can be casuing issues shorting something out

are you sure you reconnected all the ribbon connectors all the way correctly?

you might just need to disassemble redo everything and they put it back together a 2nd time.

Bad luck

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

Cheap one called zp and I'm not really sure whether it is conductive or not and BTW I did spell a bit on the side of the cpu but I cleaned it up using robbing alcohol but what I'm afraid of is that some could have leaked to the cpu pins and since the cpu is not removable there is really noway to tell.

Yes I disassembled and redid it a couple of times the cpu sink doesn't even get hot/warm to touch when its on...

IHolypaladin

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
This can happen when someone is not professional.All do , replacing thermal paste is not a big "quest" we can see from this example that this guy "maybe" screwed up Intel i7 processing unit.
People electronics are not for kids , it is serious science.Also , every opening and disassembling of a device VIOLATION OF WARRANTY in any country.

PS. I don`t service my own notebooks , all do my profession is electronic engineer and working for IT company.it is not that i could not know to disassemble an electronic device , it is because i don`t want.

Bad luck

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Okay guys I did a little research and it appears that the thermal compound that I used is Ceramic-based so it shouldn't conduct electricity so what else could it be.

Bad luck

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

Okay Mr.professional this is not the first time I've dealt with this serious science as I cleaned my laptop before and i installed an SSD, I even replaced the broken audio port on my smartphone all with complete success so please if you don't have any useful contribution to the discussion just don't post as I came here asking for help not to be your "example".

Ps. The laptop is about 2 years old so no warranty anyways...

Shnyzx

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

I'd look to make sure everything is plugged back in. I always leave a screw or something off when I mess around inside. If you didn't ground yourself before pulling the PROC then you could've fried it.

IHolypaladin

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

Cool story.

Bad luck

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

Like I said I checked several times.
I'm not really sure about the grounding part as I didn't ground myself but then I didn't directly touch the mobo or the cpu nor did I feel any electric shock.
Also I tried to run the laptop without the heat sink to see if the cpu gets hot but it didn't does that mean that it's dead?!

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I'm sorry but I cant seem to find pictures of what your labtop looks like on the inside so I'm going to have to ask you questions.

does your power connector plug directly into the main board?
is your cpu in a socket (you can remove it from the mainboard)?

do you think you can do a benchtest as I describe following...you would have to be able to have the mainboard outside the case on something non condutive. (just the mainboard). you may have to remove the power button from the case also and hook it up. then hook up an your external monitor and try to power it up and see it will just post. (don't hook up the battery hard drive or anything else to the mainboard) that way you would know if the cpu/ram/motherboard are ok.

yes I know it might not be able to do this based off the way it is made. some laptops you could do this some you cannot depends on how the design is.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.