Laptop wont boot (after keyboard replacement)

joho5

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Ok I will give you the history.

I was given this laptop (gateway nv57n48u) with a second generation i5, 500gb hdd...would turn on but not long after it it was on it would just cut off and the light would flicker if I wiggled the power connector.

I replaced the dc harness inside and it was a fairly easy install and it was good as new. I reset the laptop and got it up and going...probably used it though about 10 charges using windows and running some live linux sessions.

Well, it had a missing key (the z key) so I ordered a new keyboard and pulled it apart again and installed the new keyboard and it wouldnt boot up...when you push the power button on...it powers up briefly, the fans spin up, and then about 3-4 seconds into it, it turns off. Cant get to bios or anything. I have changed the bios battery...just visually inspected the insides. I dont see anything that sticks out. I have put the old keyboard in...nothing now.

When I hook the laptop in without a battery, but plugged into wall...it wont try to boot anything.

It will only try to boot with batter in alone, or battery in and plugged into wall. If the battery is in and plugged in to wall, itll will bootloop like 4 or 5 times before it stops.

tried taking out blueray drive, taking out hdd and booting off usb, tried one ram stick, changed the ram...nothing.

I am just wondering what I could have messed up because the keyboard repair was pretty straight forward.

I reorderd the dc harness...as its a cheap part thinking it messed up again...although the first time I repaired it, it was physically bad (the ground wire had come unsoldered to the plug).

Anyways, I would super appreciate any other input, or things to try, etc...

thanks

joho5

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

I have tried several times to reseat it...still same result. Any idea of anything else to try.