Laptop won't boot after shut down or restart

Riiinu

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I have a Lenovo z41 notebook, Windows 10.

After a certain Windows 10 update i have been having problems with the laptop booting up after i shut it down or restart. It just gives me a black screen while everything lights up and i can hear the fan working etc. This doesn't occur after sleep or hibernate.

For a while i could solve it by just clicking on and off until it finally started up. This trick doesn't work anymore. One time it helped when i plugged the cable in just as it was starting up.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be or what i could do? (Just mentioning that the battery isn't removable)

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then put everything back together then try booting it up.
- Next to try is to reseat the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will not work do connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it.
- If there's a display on the external monitor that could mean that there's a problem with the built in display. You may need to open the laptop and check if the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the motherboard is damaged or if loose.
- But if there's still no display on the external monitor that means there's a problem with the motherboard.

Riiinu

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016

I got a temporary fix - I used my family member's power chord and when i plugged it in it booted up. I don't know if it means there's something wrong with my power chord. It wouldn't explain why it won't boot up without it though.

I've tried the hard reboot, it doesn't help. As far as taking my laptop into pieces I'm afraid I'm a little too amateur to open it up like that, I'm not exactly sure i know what's what in there.