Laptop won't boot from connected hard drive

ScottU

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014
I have a presario laptop that is about 7 years old. Yesterday I attempted to turn it on, and nothing happened. I noticed the hard drive was not spinning nor were the hard drive light moving as it did to load the OS. I preceed to take the drive out and re-insert it but the same thing happened. I think took the drive out, put it in an enclosure, and connected it via usb to the laptop. I then booted the laptop up and received two options. Now I may not be accurate as to the options, but one was start windows normally or start in recovery mode.

When I start the laptop in the options start windows normally, I get a quick blue screen flash that is so quick I cannot read it, then the laptop re-starts everytime.

I select to start in recovery mode, and I get a windows screen, in a "safe" mode, and it proceeds to attempt to repair what is wrong. When It finds it can't fix the problem it gives me the option to boot in recovery mode, and select a previous state that windows was working. I choose this options, and after some time, it asks me to select my keyboard country. I then cancel this and shut the laptop down.

I am looking for any opinions as to what's going on with the laptop. The drive does work in the enclosure. I hear it moving and the light flashes on the enclosure showing that it is moving. When it's in the laptop there is nothing. I don't know if the connector on the motherboard for the laptop is fried or what.

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Solution
You cannot expect Windows to boot from an externally connected drive, it can't do that.
With the drive still in the enclosure, plug it in to a working computer and test it with SeaTools for Windows:
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

(The fact that you can hear it spinning and the light flashes does not necessarily mean it's healthy).
You cannot expect Windows to boot from an externally connected drive, it can't do that.
With the drive still in the enclosure, plug it in to a working computer and test it with SeaTools for Windows:
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

(The fact that you can hear it spinning and the light flashes does not necessarily mean it's healthy).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS