Laptop won't charge

Neenee1

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
My Toshiba laptop quit charging. :??: I keep it plugged in & the battery stays charged. Last night, it told me my battery was almost dead, to plug it in. Thinking it had accidentally been unplugged, I checked, but it was still plugged in & the cord is fine. The battery/charge light will flash yellow if I hit the power button. Other than that, I get nothing.

I have tested the cord with a volt meter & it works as is should. The port on my computer is not loose at all, probably because the cord is always in there.

I have also taken the battery out & plugged it in, but no go. I don't know if this computer even works without the battery in. I didn't know that was possible until I started searching for answers.

Please help! I'm hoping it isn't the motherboard because the computer worked fine until the battery died.

Solution
Well it could be the cord or the battery. First try turning it off (not hibernate or sleep or just closed) but actually off, then plug it in and see if the battery will charge. If it does, then your cord is the issue. When they are going they tend to only run the device if on and not charge the battery. If it won't charge the battery at all, even when off,then you need a new battery.

NOTE: You may still need to then replace the cord as well, but the battery would need to be replaced first to see if that is the cause.
Well it could be the cord or the battery. First try turning it off (not hibernate or sleep or just closed) but actually off, then plug it in and see if the battery will charge. If it does, then your cord is the issue. When they are going they tend to only run the device if on and not charge the battery. If it won't charge the battery at all, even when off,then you need a new battery.

NOTE: You may still need to then replace the cord as well, but the battery would need to be replaced first to see if that is the cause.

Solution