Laptop Won't Start | Orange Charge Light Flashing | Dust

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Odonix

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
So I took apart this laptop because the case is damaged and doesn't function properly (so its bare). I turned it on and it booted up fine but the battery was going down even though it was plugged in. I was just tinkering around and started to make a wooden base for it since the case was broken, I sanded the wood and dust went every (I don't know if this has to do with the problem). After putting it back together I plugged the battery and charger in, the charger led turned blue for a few seconds, than to orange for a few seconds shorter, and than blinked orange. If you pressed the power button during it being solid blue or orange it would turn on but only for a few seconds after saying "Getting devices ready" and it would turn off. It did this for a while until it would not turn on at all the lights are still the same though. I tried removing the cmos battery, the ram, the battery, the charger, and holding down the power button for 20 seconds. It also doesn't work with just the charger plugged in or a different HDD. I don't know what to do as I'm not to good with laptops, the only thing I could think of is a messed up motherboard.

Its an HP with a single stick of 4GB ram.

Solution
That leaves the BIOS, the RAM and/or the Motherboard. Unless, of course, the hard drive is shot. I am out of ideas other than replacement of those.

Odonix

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016

Yes, thermal paste is very important, if not applied it will most likely make the CPU overheat.