Solved! Laptop won't turn on the first time.

cmelliott1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'm looking for some expert advise.
I'm working on a laptop for someone else and it takes 2-3 times of trying to turn it on before it starts up.
It is an older hp compaq laptop and when you press the power button fans and lights come on but the bios info and motherboard splash screen don't come on. The screen just stays black (with the screen lights on behind it)
The kicker of it is, this only happens after it has been off for an extended period of time. I can only get it to do it in the morning when I first get in the shop. Otherwise it starts up perfect once it has been started for the day.

Solution

If you still have the laptop try this:
Remove the battery and unplug the ac adaptor. Push and hold the power button for 40-60 seconds
Plug the ac adaptor in without the battery. Restart the computer.
Let me know if it worked for you.

cmelliott1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

everything on the motherboard looks fine. Anyone run into a problem like this before? It seems like a hardware problem but once it has started for the day it works great.

G

i have a laptop Averatec 3200-H model about 4 years old.

it started doing the same as you mention, but it still works fine after i re-press the power button to shut it down and re-press it to start it all over again.

it doesn't loose any data, but i'm afraid it might be a motherboard issue in the long run.

but it's been mine since day 1 and i paid barely $1200 for it brand new.

ofrepose

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I am currently having a similar issue. I have a HP dv1000, I have found a correlation between it starting up and the position of my monitor. (30` degrees seems to be the best) Did you ever find a solution or cause to your problem?

cmelliott1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

I never found a solution.

ofrepose

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

If you still have the laptop try this:
Remove the battery and unplug the ac adaptor. Push and hold the power button for 40-60 seconds
Plug the ac adaptor in without the battery. Restart the computer.
Let me know if it worked for you.

Solution