Apr 18, 2018
So yesterday I used my laptop and then left it open and used my phone only to smell a somthing burning and then the screen going black. So without thinking i took out the battery and disconnected the charger. Suspecting that it is the fan I tryed turning it on only to
Be greeted with a blinking power button and about 30 seconds later the fan wakes up and it seems as if it is turning on but the screen stays black. Not even back light is on... so any thoughts ? I have an old Hp pavilion g6

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Well if it was the cooling fan you should have gotten a warning alarm either audible or by screen saying the CPU fan is not working. I had to replace mine in my Pavilion G7 two years ago and it's been fine ever since. But smelling something burning is almost always a bad sign. If you are a tinkerer you can take it apart following online videos for that model and see if you can find what component burned out. You might be able to find a replacement part if you can ID what went bad. Again though if you are not competent in working with electronics, laptops are much harder to work on than regular desktops.