Laptop won't use dedicated GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokoloco

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
hey. So I bought a new laptop, (RX 460, FX 9830p and 8GB DDR4 RAM). The problem I am having is that for some reason my laptop won't use my RX 460. It is displayed under display adapters though, but sometimes it will show the error code 43, which vanishes if I re-enable the gpu. If I open GPU-Z it will show the R7 instead and not the 460. I have tried to open radeon settings but it tells me there are no amd drivers installed, but when I try to install the amd driver it tells me that my system is up to date. I also tried to see if there were any options in the BIOS but I couldn't find anything related to GPUs.

This is quite confusing, and I would really appreciate if anyone could help.

Thanks!

chemmajorp53

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
If it's actually new, bring it back to where you bought it and tell them to show you how to fix whatever software issue it is or replace it. No use troubleshooting on something that should be ready to go out of the box.

R7 is the 460 by the way, it's an R7 460. I'm not sure if there actually is a software issue, but you can force it to always use the dedicated GPU if you want.

https://community.amd.com/thread/195915

Kokoloco

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
I can now access radeon settings but only with an old driver that I guess was installed with the laptop (16.6). For some reason I cannot update to the latest driver - if I do radeon settings tells me something like: You have no AMD driver installed, or it isn't functional. Device Manager also shows a yellow sign on my gpu, error code 43.

if anyone can help, please. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.