Laptop wouldn't start after EI 9 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hey there

I am at work and the boss's lap top (that contains some important data) would not start after installing IE 9 update. It is Vista Home Basic system. After the installing updates it went up to update 3 of 3 and went in to the restart loop. It restarted at least 10 times, then she shut it down by pressing the power button. When it powered on, it shows, "Start Windows Normally" option, when selected, it attempts to start, green bar appears, then black screen hangs for a while. Then it says, "notification .dll has not been registered, program will not work correctly" (it related to wireless.

We try to boot in Safe mode- no luck. Try to boot "Last known well configuration"- not happening Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
We do not have recovery disk. I thought I can bring a disk from my home desktop with Wista, set boot order to DVD and let it boot from my disk, then if she has to installl it, she can put her own serial number from the case sticker. Would it work? Also we trying to get to the data to do a backup.

What ou mean by partition on the drive? thank you.

dm-mtl

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

Most computers do not come with a recovery disk anymore... there is a hidden partition on the hard drive that has recovery data. Usually during boot you can see something like "Press F12 for boot options" and then be able to chose the recovery drive.

If you have the same version of vista, you could try to do a repair with your cd and then get to the data... after that you could always do a fresh install and re-import the data if it's still buggy.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Thank you for your reply. We went to F12, you say, tere will be "recovery drive"?

If I use my Vista DVD, I would go to BIOS- it is not like desktop bios where you select an order to boot. It has check marks next to HHD, DVD/CD, disket, USB storage. Should I uncheck all except the DVD and see if it boots? How di I use it to repare? Thank you.

dm-mtl

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

you can also use F12.. boot options to boot to DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.