Laptops are getting smaller and smaller every year, and I can't take it anymore

Sep 10, 2023
Alex - if you think new laptops are too small, don't buy one.

I don't disagree with you - I have no idea why anyone would want anything smaller than a 13" MacBook Air, nor do I know why anyone would buy a Windows laptop (unless mandated by an employer) ... but there's an entire world of crummy products out there, laptops included, and if manufacturers want to supply that awful market, that should be their choice.

Kinda-like Yogi Berra saying "if people don't want to come to the ballpark, no one's going to stop them."

cny_ap

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2012
I was tempted to get 16" Asus ROG but recently went with 14" because I feared 16* would be awkward on my lap, and I figured AMD CPU would use less power, not be as hot. So far keyboard seems ok. MacBook pro and Air tempted me very much too - silence is golden, I don't play games (and we have Xbox for that).

I procrastinated buying a laptop last year because the 2022 14" was very warm just sitting doing apparently nothing at best buy. This year's version was not as warm, was faster, and I just got it for $1150 (and went down to $1100 - I did a price match).

I was unaware of the 14.5" Lenovo until just after I bought the asus, but Asus has a few advantages (I hope to use it outside in the shade - asus is brighter but I doubt its bright enough) and I'd rather support Taiwan than china (I was an engineer on Taiwan air defense system, and understand the "politics").

I'll buy 16gb for 32 total at some point...to get dual/quad channel mode.
I would need more than 2GB to hold all of my images, so I'd need a 4TB SSD to do so...and the hassle of installing windows and yet again configuring everything. I think I'll live with not having all of my images with me or will "travel" with external drive.

Two weeks later, I finally took it out of the box. Was VERY happy that it barely got wam anywhere on top, and only barely heard the fans one time while it was updating windows. I haven't tried to figure out where to configure the mode, but apparently Asus smartly configured it to a sane mode, not toaster mode. :)

Been building computers since 1989 (no Internet yet!) and going to these sites since Anand was barely in high school. Haven't built a computer in 15 years - my AMD Phenom II quad 2.8Ghz (upgraded eons ago to SSD) serves most of my needs, but windows 7 isn't supported by Photoshop etc, waited long enough...