Laptops running without Batteries

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I have two laptops and one of them which is an older IBMT42(Yes still IBM), and the battery which was once close to 3 hours at the time was great now lasts for 10minutes when unplugged.

I did notice that I could run the unit plugged in without the battery inserted to the laptop. Now would this be wise to do or will it affect the motherboard somehow or overhead? I assumed that this will save me some battery life since I would not overcharge it. Like celphones we are not supposed to overcharge or it will shorten the life.

What are your thoughts and suggestions??

frozenlead

Distinguished
Unplugging your battery will not in any way hurt your computer. (unless you pull the plug on it while it's one..you'll have to be careful of that with no battery inserted)

If the battery lasts only 10 minutes, then it's just old; my IBM A21M's battery does the same thing. To me, the $80 it will take for a new battery isn't worth having the machine mobile.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Yeah, its not worth having it mobile in the end. Its a stand alone laptop now and my 4th option after my desktop, Netbook, and smartphone. But thanks. I guess if ppl would detach their laptop batteries early in the life of the laptop, they could possibly save the battery when using the laptop for a long time.