Latop and desktop on a carpet?

MolochHD

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi

So this is more about desktop computers than laptops but I heard from someone that you sould not have a computer on the carpet. Is that true and why is that if it is. My desktop has 4 small ruber feet is that fine for it to be on a carpet. Is it the same with laptops?

Solution
Eh if you've had it for two years like that you probably won't have any issues, as all these problems tend to manifest rather quickly, although it'd still be a good idea to put it on a piece of wood or something (heck even a big piece of plastic would work). Just don't leave small metal objects on the carpet.

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
You shouldn't put a computer or laptop on carpet because the vast majority intake air from the bottom to cool themselves, and a carpet will choke them. This is more severe for laptops because all the cooling is done this way whereas with desktops it's usually just the power supply that's pulling air from the bottom.

Whether or not your desktop is fine on carpet depends on the height of the legs and the height of the carpet.

with a desktop if the carpet pile is tall is can stop the power supply fan if it mounted on the bottom. then the unit will overheat and melt or have a small fire where the power supply is. trick is pick up a nice piece of lumber put the desktop on top so that it make a nice flat smush in the carpet. or pick up a desktop holder that has wheels that keeps the tower off the carpet. with laptop air needs to flow under the unit. on a bed or carpet you can block airflow and overheat the unit.

one other issue with carpet is lose change.. i lost a power supply from it sucking change into it and shorting out. this was a work pc on check out line. change fell off..onto floor and when the pc was moved/cleaned was place back down and a penny was sucked into it.

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
Eh if you've had it for two years like that you probably won't have any issues, as all these problems tend to manifest rather quickly, although it'd still be a good idea to put it on a piece of wood or something (heck even a big piece of plastic would work). Just don't leave small metal objects on the carpet.

Solution