Law Proposed to Ban Texting While Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
People might as well be drunk and smoking pot while driving, because that's about the same level of attention you are devoting to driving while you Text on your stupid cell phone while driving.

G

Invalidate their insurance too, if they cause an accident and they're texting.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I didn't even read the article - I just saw the heading and felt the need to comment on it! FINALLY! Netherscourge pretty much summed it all up. I drive a manual, so texting while actually driving isn't an option (it's possible, but...) I am always scared when there's some idiot behind me and I know he/she is texting - and geez they are the ones always riding my ass so if I needed to stop quickly, there is no way they would react fast enough. Driving needs your attention and focus, anyone who argues otherwise either is a bad driver, or is yet to learn a hard lesson... Cheers!

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Let's just legislate every aspect of people's lives. There are already laws that people can be charged under if they drive while being willfully distracted. Instead of wasting time on legislation like this, time should be allotted to more important issues.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I think they should forget about making the ban and let natural selection take its course, because you have to have some kind of mental stigma if you think texting is a better idea than making an actual call when you're driving in a massive metal box at 40mph.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Let's just legislate every aspect of people's lives. There are already laws that people can be charged under if they drive while being willfully distracted. Instead of wasting time on legislation like this, time should be allotted to more important issues.[/citation]
I don't know where you live, but in Ontario (Canada), driving is considered a privilege, not a right, so I accept the fact that laws will exist to regulate that privilege. I would much rather have to abide to 100 laws while driving, and expect all drivers to do the same, rather than be killed (or kill) someone because my government gave in to small minded thinkers such as yourself. Nothing personal.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Careful, I do not know about everyone else but where I am at they no only want to ban texting they are considering a ban on talking on a cell phone hands free as well. How is a cop supposed to tell if someone is talking on a phone vs. sing to the radio or talking to a passenger? Just be cautious on how far they take this is all am saying, but as for the texting: I am all for that ban.

You think a person texting while driving is bad. I saw a woman serving all over the place once, thought see was drunk, turns out she had a actual book opened up across the steering wheel. She was reading a book while driving!! The sad thing is this was not some teen she had to be about mid to late 40's.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
How would they police this in states where phone use while driving is legal? "No officer, I wasn't texting, I was dialing a number"

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]I think they should forget about making the ban and let natural selection take its course, because you have to have some kind of mental stigma if you think texting is a better idea than making an actual call when you're driving in a massive metal box at 40mph.[/citation]

no, because i don't want my life taken along with some txting dumbass, ban txting asap please

G

I'm all for making texting while driving illegal (it already is where I live,) but this should be handled solely by the states. Bullying states into making laws by withholding funding is just wrong (albeit not uncommon.) Once again this half-baked idea has a New York politician as its spokesman.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Officer I was not Texting... See, here... I was writing an Email, Updating Facebook, Blogging, Checking Voice Mail, and Accessing Google Maps... not Texting you see.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]I don't know where you live, but in Ontario (Canada), driving is considered a privilege, not a right, so I accept the fact that laws will exist to regulate that privilege. I would much rather have to abide to 100 laws while driving, and expect all drivers to do the same, rather than be killed (or kill) someone because my government gave in to small minded thinkers such as yourself. Nothing personal.[/citation]

Where I grew up, Detroit (Michigan) driving was a skill, not a right or a privilege... Why is it that you don't need a license to purchase a car? I knew SEVERAL people who drove with out the proper identification, insurance, or license... and guess what, it was because that was taken from them. You make something illegal, all you will do is make people drive illegally, it won't stop anyone from doing it.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
lol whats with this driving is a privilege stuff? I'm pretty sure it's a right, at least in America it should be. I'm not gonna thank my government for "allowing" me to drive a car. lol

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]wthnydems[/nom]I'm all for making texting while driving illegal (it already is where I live,) but this should be handled solely by the states. Bullying states into making laws by withholding funding is just wrong (albeit not uncommon.) Once again this half-baked idea has a New York politician as its spokesman.[/citation]
Whereas I really don't see the need for different states to decide whether or not they're going to ban this for themselves at different rates, while people keep dying and killing other drivers in the interim. That'd be like letting states decide whether or not to ban drunk driving (in fact, this is even more dangerous than DUI). By this point, if a state's legislature hasn't gotten on board to make texting while driving illegal then they're not doing their damn jobs and there's obviously a need for federal measures.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]I think they should forget about making the ban and let natural selection take its course, because you have to have some kind of mental stigma if you think texting is a better idea than making an actual call when you're driving in a massive metal box at 40mph.[/citation]

Yeah, let natural selection take its course, but what if you're the one hit by the moron that was using the phone.

Even calling on a phone while driving is a very bad idea, I don't know why you'd think otherwise.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I never text and drive, that is Just plan asking for trouble. My brother drove in a ditch Just reaching down to change the radio station. Though i have texted while biking on very long lonely stretches of residential roads, but i usually stop, I wonder if that will apply as well.

G

Wow and i thought the whole world already banned it..
In the Netherlands its illigal even holding a phone in your hands while driving....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS